Author Topic: VT Tragedy and Anti-gun agenda  (Read 824 times)

Offline K.K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
VT Tragedy and Anti-gun agenda
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:27:09 PM »
I would like to preface this post with heartfelt condolences to those that lost their lives, and their families at the Virginia Tech.  I have close friends that graduated from there and have visited the campus on many occasions.

Thoughts to ponder:  Are we, as law-abiding firearm owners and carriers going to unite and combat the anti-gun agenda and press?  What could a legally armed professor or staff have done to possibly stop the assailant before he killed 32 innocent victims?  Can we agree  and convince the antis that the criminal, not the gun committed these terrible murders?

I am no hero, no vigilante, and no psycho.  However, I am a law-abiding CCW carrier. I have committed no crimes, pay my taxes and raise my children the best that I can.  My Glock (and other legally owned handguns) have never killed anyone, and have served to protect me and my family.  God forbid, if me or my family were in that situation, I would shoot from under a desk from cover, and not just have to hide and pray, as these poor people had to do. 

If ever there was an instance where deadly force was justified, it was yesterday, to stop that maniac.  All the press can do is fault the guns, the gun makers and us as legally licensed gun-owners.

The time is now...We need to set the record straight, and keep our right to keep and bear arms.

K.K

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
Re: VT Tragedy and Anti-gun agenda
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »
I got this at Rimfirecentral. The other forum I frequent. Thought you would find it intresting.

When VT killed House Bill # 1572 back in Jan. 2006 that would have allowed CCW on campus, VT spokesman, Larry Hincker, said this makes all students safe. I'd like for him to explain that to me now. By the way, the local news said that the shooter was an Asian male who used a 9mm semi-auto and a .22 lr semi-auto.

So in a roundabout way gun control is what caused this to be as bad as it was. Food for thought... I personally will be starting college in fall of this year and I would feel alot safer if I knew that there were law abiding citizens with ccw's around.
"If guns kill people I can blame mispelled words on my pencil"
                                                             -Larry The Cable Guy :-D

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:28:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. When I was in college, (off-campus), I lived in a shady part of town, and had two friends get shot. Both made it thank God, and I witnessed another gang-related shooting from our second floor balcony.  I was too young to have a CCW, but hidden in our house was a Remington 870 and a Ruger 10/22 with folding stock and two 25 round mags. They were all that I could afford, but I felt safer.  I must say that they were hidden and not known to my roomates, only me.  BEst of luck and be safe.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:26:30 AM »
WHERE WERE THE POLICE !!!!
According to the CNN video from a student reporter,
The police were standing around outside the building
while the CNN folks counted off 28 shots being fired...
Even their guest on the show was saying that they should be doing something
instead of standing around...
What happened to the PROTECT part of "To Protect and Serve"
This really drives home the fact that people MUST have the right
and means to protect themselves !!! The police sure can't or won't do it !!!
The Anti-Gun folks sure have some blame in this also for seeing to it that no one
there besides the "Terrorist" could defend themselves... WELL DONE HCI and BRADY supporters..
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 12:54:31 PM »
Here is an article articulating some of the best arguments I've heard.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21580530-7583,00.html

Lay some of that smackdown on somebody when they opine on how we need more gun control.

Something else I've seen is how some news organizations are calling this "The Worst Mass Murder in US History".  Guess they have a short memory and have forgotten about those 3000 people killed on 9/11/01.  Perhaps because it was a terrorist attack it isn't considered murder.

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »
Here is some more from Rimfirecentral. This is another attempted shooting in January of 2002. It went a little differently for obvious reasons.
http://www.surlycurmudgeon.com/blog/?id=1196
"If guns kill people I can blame mispelled words on my pencil"
                                                             -Larry The Cable Guy :-D

Offline Camba

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:27:50 PM »
The Brazilian government has gun bans throughout their territories and supposedly, no civilian can purchase or own firearms.  In addition to that, just like many other gun banning countries they criticized America in the VT tragedy for being so easy to sell guns to civilians.  Ironically, today in Rio De Janeiro, there were 20 people killed in a shoot out (see the page link below) and the situation has not yet ended.  Go figure.

http://www.topix.net/forum/world/brazil/TQ23RSGETHTQM6H3R

Camba

Offline jimster

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »
To me it was a perfect example of one real bad person breaking several gun laws and everyone else following the gun control laws, with no way to protect themselves because of those gun control laws. All backwards.

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
jimster got it right. The sad part in all of  this is that the students didn't have the chance to protect themselves. I some how feel that if the students would have been able to carry he wouldn't have killed the number of people that he did.
Chance favors the prepared mind