Author Topic: Simmons vs. Mueller  (Read 1630 times)

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Simmons vs. Mueller
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Which scope? Simmons Aetec 2.8-10 or Mueller 3-10

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Simmons vs. Mueller
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »
First, are you talking about the old Aetec, or one of the new Master series?  The old line has an excellent reputation, and all that I've looked through and shot have been very good. I know one fellow that has more guns than he could ever shoot, and has Aetec's on just about every one of them, from .22lr to .375H&H.  The Aetec does offer long eye relief for a hard kicker, compared to the specs for the Mueller's I've read about.  I have no experience with the Simmons Master series, and the reviews I've read have been so-so on them.  Lots of people on here love the Meuller's, but I've never even laid eyes on one.  If you look, I'm sure you can get one of the old line of Aetec's either NIB for $150 or less, or you can find a good used one for under $100 or so if you look hard.  Not sure how that compare's with the cost of the Meuller's.

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 03:13:59 AM »
Mueller for sure

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Simmons scopes but I have heard more good that bad about the Aetec.
I have a Simmons Pro50 2.5-10x50 that's OK.
I have two Muellers and they have been very reliable with OK optics.
If I had to pick between the two I guess I would pick the Mueller.
At least I would know what I was getting as well as being able to count on it when that important shot comes.

However, if you go to the Optic zone you will see that the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10x40 isn't much more and I would choose an Elite over either of the above scopes.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:13:22 AM »
I have missed a nbumber of shots at dusk simply because I could not see my reticle. I guess my range of comparison is the Aetec Master Series with Illuminated reticle, the Mueller  comes with one standard and the Bushnell with the Firefly reticle.
Thought s about low light properties of these three.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 06:14:05 AM »
I'm a fan of simple, so if it were me, I'd go for the Firefly---no batteries to die.  But you'd have to carry/use a flashlight to charge the x-hairs, and turning on the light might spook an animal if you're not careful.  Any of those scopes have good enough light transmission for most areas legal shooting hours (unless you're hunting at night for raccoon, coyotes, whatever), even without the lighted reticle.  I've taken many shots at dusk or in low light with a regular reticle in a high quality scope with no problem seeing the x-hairs.  Another option you may consider is a scope with a heavy x-hair, a post reticle, or a dot reticle.  They will be very visible in low light and don't need batteries or to be charged with a flashlight

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
I wouldn't let the battery issue sway your decision, I've forgot and left a Mueller Sport Dot on for several days without it killing the battery. The nice thing about the Mueller is the dot doesn't need to be on all day, just in low light situations and can be turned on or off if a micro second, battery can be swapped out it a minute, carry an extra, weighs about as much as a nickel and costs about $2.50, lasts a looooong time. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »
The illuminated dot reticle in the Mueller is very nice.  If only the glass were better, the Mueller's would be awesome.  To my eyes the low light performance of the Mueller is mediocre.  This makes the illuminated dot less of a benefit.  If I were to choose a scope just based on the best illuminated reticle design, I would probably pick the Mueller.  I haven't had a chance to check out the Firefly reticle.  It would have to glow for a long time to be usefull to me though.  I don't know how the Aetec would compare in lowlight.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:27 PM »
I strongly advise Mueller.  the 2x7 multishot is my favorite scope, love that recticle.  I like it better than my Leupold 2x8, which is a great scope.

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:50:03 AM »
I owned a Mueller Eradicator and I own a Nikon that cost a little more and a Bushnell Elite 3200 that cost about the same. The Mueller is the least clear, least bright of the three. The Mueller is not BAD, I like the scope. But at the range, with all 3 on the table, there is a noticeable difference in the clarity of the target. The Mueller is the only one with an AO. I would probably buy another Mueller for certain applications, but to me the Bushnell with the firefly reticle is a great scope.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."