Author Topic: Fireforming a K-Hornet  (Read 1201 times)

Offline nofun1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Fireforming a K-Hornet
« on: March 10, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
I just had a CZ 527 reamed to a K-Hornet and am wondering if I can use the same load to fireform as I used in it as a Hornet I was shooting 13.0 Lil Gun and a 40 Vmax. this is a fairly fast moderate pressure load  pressure load.any tips from those whove tried it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Re: Fireforming a K-Hornet
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:10:41 PM »
13.0g is a pretty stiff load for the K-Hornet, I'd back down to about 11.0 for my forming loads. You'll want to make sure the bullet is fully seated into the lands to reduce any chance of case streching. Also with the K-Hornet, it has a very odd tic that most follow, you may very well find that you can load a stiffer load the standard case forming to K-Hornet than you will be able to load in the already formed K-Hornet case. Odd, and I don't know of any other chamber design that follows this tic with so many rifles.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:01:13 PM »
i fire formed mine with standard starting load.
 i shoot  35gr. v-maxes. with 12gr. of 296 and pistole primers. very accurate and very explosive!

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
Do you get any case-neck splits when you fireform? 

I've had a K-Hornet barrel on order from Fox Ridge for my TC since December, but it isn't here yet.  I've prepared some fireforming loads for it, but while researching this topic, I've read that you should anneal your cases before making the fireforming loads.  So that's what I did.

Did any of you find annealing was necessary?

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:07 AM »
Not on a hornet. In fact the annealed cases I've gotten from RWS have almost all split at the shoulder when forming, so you may have done more bad then good.
Many cases are better off being annealed before forming, but the hornet case is so thin it is not neaded.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »
Back in the 1960`s and 70`s I used to anneal millitary 06 brass to form .270 brass when I would get some that was brittle, but those were the only cases that I ever anneled that I was happy with. I form .17 K-Hornet brass and tried annealing it and ruined every case I annealed. I shoot several wildcat rounds where I change the case mouth alot and never anneal.

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:52:14 PM »
I have only annealed 12 cases so I will try them and see what happens.   I'll also load up some in un-annealed cases to test. 

I'll report on my results  -  if the barrel ever gets here!!