Author Topic: New hard drive questions ?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
New hard drive questions ?
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »
I just installed a new hard drive. Now I have 2 how do I move info from one to another. If I try to send it somewhere the other hard drive is not an option.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New hard drive questions ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
Dale,

Are you replacing the old drive, or just adding additional space? What brand drive did you just install and what operating system are you using.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 05:22:22 PM »
Tim I give up. I am just going to buy a new computer. Thanks alot for trying to help. I am just plain sick of this thing. I would just love to throw it on the floor and stomp it to death But then I could not talk to the fine folks here. ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »
Dale,Iam assuming that the old hd is also working?If so,you can just run 2 hd's.Let the pc put the info where it wants to.I run 2 drives in mine.60 gb and 80gb.I did this when I bought my new Dell,so I would not have to try and move all the data I had on the old one.Works like a charm.No problems whatsoever.It will just give you more room.............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 05:21:39 AM »
I am assuming this is a new hard drive. If it is then you will not only need to install the HD and attach the cables but you will need to create a partition on it and format the hard drive so that data can be transferred to it. The first thing to do is check your bios to make sure the system is even recognizing your new drive. You can PM me if you like and I will help you get the drive setup. If newed be, I will give you my phone number and help walk you through the process.

If you are using Windows XP, right click on MY COMPUTER and then click on MANAGE - a box will pop up and on the left side toward the bottom you will see DISK MANAGEMENT and here is where you can manage the drives of your computer. Look in there and see if your computer sees a drive that was not there before you installed the new HD. It will probably be assigned a letter higher than your CD drive such as E, F, G, or something. try left clicking twice on that drive letter, if it comes up and says that the drive has not been formatted and would you like to format it now then say yes. Format it using the NTFS file system (which will be one of the choices). email or PM me if you need more help.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »
I did what you said and formated the drive. How would I transfer every thing from one drive to the other. The reason being the drive that runs my system is only 3.8 gb and it is really not enough for the operating systems.