Author Topic: Roping A Deer.  (Read 1125 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Roping A Deer.
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:01:31 PM »
I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it.  The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that since they congregated at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away) that it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope.  The cattle, who had seen the roping thing before, stayed well back.  They were not having any of it.  After about 20 minutes my deer showed up... 3 of them.

I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.  The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it.  It took a step away.  I put a little tension on the rope and received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope. That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope with some dignity. A deer, no chance.  That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it.

As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I originally imagined. The only up side is that they do not have as much stamina as many animals.  A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up.

It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head.  At that point I had lost my taste for corn fed venison.  I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope. I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.

Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death. I managed to get it lined up to back in between my truck and the feeder... a little trap I had set beforehand.  Kind of like a squeeze chute.  I got it to back in there and started moving up so I could get my rope back.  Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody so I was very surprised When I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist.  Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts. The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly.  I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now) tricked it.  While I kept it busy tearing the heck out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.  Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that when an animal like a horse strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape. This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously such trickery would not work.  In the course of a millisecond I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and three times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now when a deer paws at you and knocks you down it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed.  What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.  I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.  

Now for the local legend. I was pretty beat up. My scalp was split open, I had several large goose eggs, my wrist was bleeding pretty good and felt broken (it turned out to be just badly bruised) and my back was bleeding in a few places, though my insulated canvas jacket had protected me from most of the worst of it. I drove to the nearest place, which was the co-op. I got out of the truck, covered in blood and dust and looking like hell. The guy who ran the place saw me through the window and came running out yelling "what happened"

I have never seen any law in the state of Texas that would prohibit an individual from roping a deer.  I suspect that this is an area that they have overlooked entirely.  Knowing, as I do, the lengths to which law enforcement personnel will go to exercise their power, I was concerned that they may find a way to twist the existing laws to paint my actions as criminal.  I swear... not wanting to admit that I had done something monumentally stupid played no part in my response.  I told him "I was attacked by a deer." I did not mention that at the time I had a rope on it. The evidence was all over my body. Deer prints on the back of my jacket where it had stomped all over me and a large deer print on my face where it had struck me there.  

I asked him to call somebody to come get me... I didn't think I could make it home on my own.  He did.  

Later that afternoon, a game warden showed up at my house and wanted to know about the deer attack. Surprisingly, deer attacks are a rare thing and wildlife and parks was interested in the event. I tried to describe the attack as completely and accurately as I could... I was filling the grain hopper and this deer came out of nowhere and just started kicking the hell out of me and BIT me. It was obviously rabid or insane or something. EVERYBODY for miles around knows about the deer attack (the guy at the co-op has a big mouth).

For several weeks people dragged their kids in the house when they saw deer around and the local ranchers carried rifles when they filled their feeders.

I have told several people the story, but NEVER anybody round here. I have to see these people every day and as an outsider... a city folk... I have enough trouble fitting in without them snickering behind my back and whispering "there is the dumb-butt that tried to rope the deer

Offline NONYA

Re: Roping A Deer.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »
funny s***!
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:49:13 PM »
Rockbilly, that just made my day.  ;D

I was LMAO through-out the whole story.

Great job!

Skunk
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline gdolby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:12:43 PM »
Rockbilly, Good story. I know where you are coming from. Put a half broke horse in your story and that is mine. Thanks and have a good day.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 01:37:49 AM »
If you never told your neighbors, they all know now; the game warden too.  It reinforces that a species which can survive a shot up leg, auto accidents, arrows up the backbone, gouges from other deer, etc. would be a very hail and hardy warrior, even a small one and most particularly a doe.  Pig roping is a better choice.  They're all about muscle, escape velocity, biting, and crapping all over the place when roped making footing a thing of the past.  Not only will you be bruised, battered, tired, and bloody, you will smell badly too. 

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
ROFL,I have not laughed so hard for a long time  ;D ;D Oh I'm laughing with you,not at you,you were laughing right? ;)Thanks for sharing.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
This afternoon we went out to the farm to put corn in feeders.  In an old hog trap with a broken door, we found three pigs, two about 50 pounds, and an old sow about 300 pounds. The two little pigs ran out of the trap and down the creek, the old sow had a hard time getting out, she was one mad ole gal, I guess I am lucky I didn't have my rope, or I might have got dirty (pants).

What is strange, the trap did not have any bait, and had not been used since last summer when we trapped an old boar that went 300 plus.  The ole boy broke the welds that held the door in place, bent the door to the point that it will have to come back to the shop for repair, but he was still in the trap when we walked up.. He didn't stay long, and looked like he wanted chew on my leg before he left.

Do you think a hog would bother me if I had dirty pants?

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
You really should submit your story to one of the outdoor magazines. I have laughed and enjoyed it and think everyone who reads it will also.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:03:49 AM »
I'm with doesniper, send that story in, they'd probably publish it as a cautionary tale, if nothing else. 

I have a story that could have turned out similarly if not worse (it was a wounded 8 pt) if the guy had gotten the rope looped.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:12:34 AM »
  Back in 85 or 86 I was guiding out in New Mexico near the Jicarilla. We had a cowboy come in all beat up. His story was that he had rode up on a cow elk, seeing he was so close he decided to rope her. He said the elk bolted and tore the saddle from his horse he held on and it drug him through the brush. He said he would never do that again.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:09 AM »
A guy at work tells a story about  shooting a doe and how decided to drag it to a better place to field dress it. He tied his rope to his wrist and had pretty much the same results when she came to. He had brand new camo coveralls on and they got trashed.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
Tell you what rockbilly,I've read this about 10 times and I'm convinced that you sir write better than a bunch of what I've seen in mags lately!I think you should think seriously of truning pro and submit some of your'e writings to hunting mags and such. ;)
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 11:19:32 AM »
That's actually the best piece of humorous outdoor writing I've ever read, bar none. You should really consider these suggestions of submitting your story. You write well.

I read this at the store, all my customers wanted to know what I was laughing about (I had tears in my eyes by the time I was done). I turned the monitor around and let 'em read it. You had 4 guys bustin' a gut in my store, one of 'em had to stop and catch his breath before he could finish.

"Did you know that deer bite?"  :D

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 04:24:20 PM »
I'm actually glad i read this i had thought about doing that to see if it could be done. because where i go camping in the summer the deer aren't scared in the least. ill have to tell the boys that next time they try to rope 1 of them things. (they normally miss and scare the deer)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »

That is about the most funny thing I have read in awhile. I read it to dad over the phone and about busted a gut here at a work and they are looking at me is if I was mental.... well I might be, but still that was funny as all heck.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 07:07:55 PM »
Several years ago while hunting in New Mexico, I shot the biggest bodied buck I had ever seen.  Spindly little rack, but big and fat.  When I rolled him over he was missing something.  Found out the old Cowboys I was hunting with would castrate any little male fawns they found during spring round-up on the ranch.  These guys had been doing this all their lives.  But they roped them from horse back, and they were experts.  Plus they only roped fawns or young deer.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.