Author Topic: FA short cylinders and loading help???  (Read 491 times)

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
FA short cylinders and loading help???
« on: August 04, 2003, 03:42:11 PM »
Hello Guys,

This is my first time posting on the “cast bullets” forum.

A while back I purchased a FA 475. I started off shooting the 400gr XTP. Here of late I’ve swapped to cast bullets but I’m finding out due to FA short cylinder that my choices of bullet design and weight combination is very limited.

Is anyone here shooting a FA 475?

The two bullets I’m current loading are Cast Performance 410gr WFNGC and 425gr WFNGC. I would like to try some different bullet designs and stick with 400gr bullets. The reason I want to stick with 400gr bullets is “just because”. No real reason other than I just want ‘em heavy. It seems that other bullets other than wide and flat are too long for my cylinder. I have the option of sticking with what I’ve got or getting the longer bullets and seating them deeper and giving up case capacity.

I’m here ask you all if there are other options and to find out what those of you that do have the FA 475 are using.

If you are using longer bullets and seating them deeper and giving up case capacity how much are you reducing your powder charge? Would you give me your loading data? If you don’t want to post it here you can “pm” me or email at overlans@bellsouth.net

I’ve been putting off getting into casting my own bullets but it’s looking more and more like I’m going to have to start. Is it possible to have someone custom make a mold with a bullet design you come up with yourself? How much would a custom mold cost?

I’m looking for options and suggestions. I’m open to anything.

If I end up taking up the “casting my own bullet” route I’ll have many more questions coming.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Jim L.

• Trade Count: (0)
FA short cylinders and loading help???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 07:55:22 PM »
Email sent Scott.
Jim