Author Topic: Unexpected Results ...  (Read 1254 times)

Offline HillBillyFarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
Unexpected Results ...
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:33:30 PM »
Saturday was a great day to do some shooting or so I thought. Now anytime you get a chance to do some shooting when it's a nice sunny day is a good day, but I had a different kind of day. Last Christmas my wife bought me a Stevens model 200 in 25-06 (I'm talking about a Steven's now, but this story is all CVA) earlier in the year I bench shot it, got it sighted in and shot some real good groups.

Saturday I was going to shoot it again only this time I was going to shoot it from different field positions, so I put some clay pigeons out in the field ranging from 50 to 85 yards. I wanted to shoot mostly off hand, I thought it would be good practice. Needless to say I couldn't hit the broad side of barn. I was very disappointed, so I tried shooting off the bench again to see if it was still on and it was, so then I knew it was me.

I took the Stevens back in the house and grabbed my CVA Eclipse because I've never had a problem shooting off hand with that. I loaded it up and hit every clay pigeon off hand without a problem.

I don't know what it is about my CVA $100 Eclipse, but it seems like I can't do anything wrong when I'm shooting that muzzleloader. Maybe I'm just a muzzleloader man and center-fire rifles aren't my thing? Anyone else ever has something similar happen to them?

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: Unexpected Results ...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »
I hav'nt shot the ecliipse,but my Optima Elite seems to be easier to hold steady than my other rifles. I was shocked to be able to shoot a pig at 125 yds.from a standing position,through the brush,and after walking and then settle the crosshairs on the pig.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
I hav'nt shot the ecliipse,but my Optima seems to be easier to hold steady than my other rifles. I was shocked to be able to shoot a pig at 125 yds.from a standing position,through the brush,and after walking and then settle the crosshairs on the pig.   Digger

Make that an Optima Elite, big difference! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »
Sorry about that,my mind was going faster than my fingers. ::) ::) ::) Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:12 AM »
I hav'nt shot the ecliipse,but my Optima seems to be easier to hold steady than my other rifles. I was shocked to be able to shoot a pig at 125 yds.from a standing position,through the brush,and after walking and then settle the crosshairs on the pig.   Digger

Make that an Optima Elite, big difference! ;)

Tim

Now don't be dogging the the little old Optima fellas! (just kidding) ;D

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:01:55 AM »
Maybe it's something about a fat barrel with a big hole in the end??  Better forward balance?  I experience the same thing, I can shoot any of my ML's offhand better than my centerfires.  I never mentioned  it before, I thought maybe it was just a mindset thing.  Maybe it really is....

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:26:07 PM »

I've handled quite a few Stevens rifles...and don't care for them at all...I went thru a whole bunch of them a couple months ago...and everyone of them had something wrong with them...The CVA I have fits me great..and I can shoot both barrels I own (MZ-243) and 1 45-70 ( loaner)  extremely well...from the bench..kneeling..or standing up...When a gun fits ya..and is comfortably to shoot..even the heavy kickers...you will just shoot it better than one that don't...Put a decent stock on that Stevens that fits ya better and it will shoot better for ya...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 03:09:12 AM »
KY and MAC, you're both right! I really do enjoy the fact that it's a nice big barrel and it balances real nice, but the ML just has that "IT" factor every time I bring "IT" to my shoulder. The other thing that's a major plus on it is my scope, it's a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40, however, the recticule is has the circle X cross hairs and I just seem to be able to hold on something much better with it. I think I'm going to start spending more time shooting my fathers optima standard 209 and see if I can't get that to shoot good for me. If I can what I think I'll do next (gotta save my penny's) is get a optima Elite in 45/70 and see if I can get the same results with that as I do with my ML. I don't think I want to invest the money in the Stevens, I'll keep a dedicated bi-pod on it or carry a good set of shooting sticks if I decide to hunt with it.