Author Topic: SP 101--- How do you carry?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
SP 101--- How do you carry?
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
My state has less than 30 days left to issue me a CCW permit so I have begun to look at carry guns.  I've shot revolvers for over 40 years and very little on semi's so naturally I'm pretty much settled on getting a small revolver to carry (all my current revolvers are too large and heavy).  The Ruger SP 101 hammerless model really interest me.  I've looked at the S&W 640 and 642 but I have always favored Ruger.  For all you SP 101 carriers, how do you carry and what advice can you give a newbie?  Anything you can tell me would really be appreciated!  Thanks,
BH

Offline Lee Robinson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
Re: SP 101--- How do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:37:37 AM »
I made two CC holsters for my SP101. I use one of them...and never use the other. The one I don't use is a good fit...and could work very well, but it carries a little higher than I prefer with the handle and about 1" of the frame exposed above the belt line and the gun is carried at about an 80 degree angle (almost verticle like a strong arm draw with BARREL pointing somewhat downward at about an 80 degree angle)...which one would have to cover with their shirt or jacket. The one I use only has the handle exposed and the entire frame is below the belt line and the gun is carried at a lower angle (more horizontal with GRIP pointing somewhat verticle).

If anyone would like the holster I don't use, just send me an email at chimerakennels@msn.com and I will gladly pass it onto someone for the price of shipping...say $5 priority mail...as I am not using it, and I see no need in throwing it out.
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:42:35 AM »
Bounty hunter, look at the Uncle Mike kydex or the Mirage #40.  I have both and like them.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:53:05 AM »
Hey Bounty Hunter!  I don't think you'll be dissappointed by the SP101 you've chosen.  I also own the bobbed hammer version and find it the easiest of all "snubbies" to shoot due to its weight and the stud/overmold rubber grip design.  The downside is also its weight.  At 25 oz., it's diffinitely not a pocket gun.  On the other hand, I find that I forget I'm wearing the thing when carried strong side in an open "pancake" holster (on a good quality gun belt).  I ran into a sale on an open top DeSantis model that was inexpensive and well made.  (Can't remember the model name).  Even at full price, I think DeSantis holsters are a bargain. The little snubbie also disappears nicely under any reasonable cover garment.

You might want to check out Remington's Golden Saber 125 gr. as a carry load  (assuming you're looking at a .357).  It's classified as a "midrange" load and I do not find it objectionable in the SP.  I had to dress down the front sight a bit to regulate this load.  (I think most of these guns come regulated for the 158 gr. standard load.)  Those bold Ruger sights are a help for aging eyes...and my gun faithfully puts 'em where I point 'em (so long as I do my job- :))

Offline WesinND

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 02:15:12 PM »
I have an inside the waistband and a pancake, actually called a model 77 "Tortilla", both made by El Paso Saddlery.  I like the tortilla the best and it's very comfortable especially in cooler weather.  Wes

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »
My wife carries her SP101 with a 2.25'' barrel everyday. A IWB holster will let you carry that gun all day with ease.

Offline Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:59:21 AM »
Hey 6shooter what kind of IWB holster do you recommend?  Can you give me a make and model?  I'm trying to look at everything available.  Thanks,
BH

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:49 PM »
I have the 2.25 bbl with hammer.  I really like this gun - its solid and really fits my hand. I did spend some time with a fine stone and crocus cloth taking the edges off some of the corners on the trigger guard and frame so it would be easier on my hands and fingers. I have the Crimson trace grips and can shoot it quite well with medium loads. I use the Bianchi accumold with thumb strap most of the time - most of my carry is in the field so I don't worry much about concealing it.  For more concealment I have a DeSantis IWB leather holster.  Its ok but it goes flat when I take the gun out - I'd look at versions that stay open and allow a one hand reholster.  Also, once with a small back pack, the DeSantis became real uncomfortable. I ended up with a big bruise on my hip. Darn I was just looking online last week and I can't remember who makes an IWB with reinforced opening.  I was with a group who didn't like guns but I was darned if I was going totally unarmed when my kids were along.

I like that I can use a wide variety of loads - heavy for field work and 38+P for "social work".  I like to load the Rem 140 gr semijacketed as a medium 357 load or warm 38.  Look at the Speer 135 gr 38 load. An enforcement friend gave me some 147 gr Federal +P+ 38's that I carry some times.

If I thought I might end up where I needed to do a fast reload I'd carry a good 38 load as the shells will drop out of the cylinders better than the 357s. I was shooting this gun today and thinking about that very thing.  I was shooting some medium heavy loads and the brass didn't always drop clear when I pushed the ejector rod.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline deerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:49:11 AM »
I have 3 holsters for my SP101 2.25", but I find I only use one of them.   My uncle mikes pocket holster and I carry it in my front left pocket.  I'm a lefty.  I keep a speed strip in my right pocket.   I can stand with my hands in my pockets and look ordinary, and my hands resting on the grip.

Offline COLT45

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special with my SP101 3" bbl---comfortable,secure and has a metal insert so reholstering is easy.--The bad news is when I sit in my car the gun ,behind the right hip digs in to my back a little more than I like,

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »
I have the 2.25" with a hammer, and use Uncle Mike's IWB. I'm surprised at the accuracy of this gun, and the ease of shooting considering its light weight. My only complaint is that the grip is small enough that it takes some practice to draw quickly and have it in hand the way I prefer to shoot it. I find larger grips are easier to do this with.
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline MikeP

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »
During the long and sweaty summers in Louisiana, I carry my hammerless 2.25" SP101 in a Mika pocket holster, either in the front or the back. With an untucked shirt, it's invisible even with short pockets. With deep pockets, it's also invisible even when shirtless or with the shirt tucked in. The slight bulge in my pocket is my cellphone, if anyone were to ask (noone ever has).

In the winter (about a week here in Louisiana), I often use a j-hook under the belt in the waist, on either side.

Offline Lee Robinson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:49:18 PM »
Bruce, holster is on its way.
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels