Author Topic: How can you tell ?  (Read 479 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
How can you tell ?
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:45:08 PM »
When I was at the local gun store today I noticed they had several H&R shotguns. Well I looked at them wondering if any of them were on SB2 frames. Because they were all priced between $60.00 and $85.00 and I figured if I lucked out and found one on a SB2 frame that they would be well worth the price. This way if one of them were I would have a frame to build a new center fire rifle and I would have the stocks to trade off. How do I tell if it is an SB2 frame by looking at it? I would think that it would be posible to find a shotgun barrel on a rifle frame.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: How can you tell ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »
Quick has posted some pictures in the FAQ's, good luck.
Any $60 full choke 20 gauges there?....<><.... :)

here is the link to the relative thread::
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,80979.0.html

What is the name and location of the shop Dale? Sounds like a place I'd like to check out the  next time out to see the relatives...it may not be for a year or so but it would be nice to know of someplace to look around. If you want to let me in on the info AFTER you buy whatever you want that's fine, I would not be there for a long time anyway
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »
I would guess that your odds of finding a SB2 receiver with a shotgun barrel on it would be pretty slim.  Not impossible mind you but pretty slim.  If you do find one you had better rush out and buy a lottery ticket that same day.  ;)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »
Their appearance is a pretty good way, but I only have 2 shotgun frames and a couple rimfires to compare, but THE only way to know for sure is call H&R and give em the serial number, they can tell you without a doubt what barrels can be used on it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »
I kind of think that looking at the firing pin hole might give me my best chance of finding a SB2 frame. Andy The name of the shop is The Gun Rack. It is located about 30 miles from White Oak Pa. The little town it is near is West Newton on Rt 31. Tell him Dale the carpenter sent you. This shop is hurting right now. So anyone else in the area check him out. The owners name is Byron really nice guy has had several strokes and is in a wheel chair because he is parilized.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »
Don't forget too, that if you are looking at just shotguns you might stumble on a 12ga UltraSlugHunter or a 10ga shotgun. While these are labeled SB-2, they will not fit up to centerfire barrels.
They are like "the kid under the stairs" of their receivers, along with the Versa-Pack receivers.
 That NEF/H&R cares only to fit one thing or nothing at all to.
Odd it is.

-Aaron