Author Topic: Making a good thing even better  (Read 781 times)

Offline HillBillyFarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
Making a good thing even better
« on: April 04, 2007, 05:15:24 AM »
By now you all know about my beloved CVA Eclipse (probably sick of hearing me rant about it) and that it’s one of the best if not the best gun I own, however, there is a sticking point that I just can’t get past, the open action.  I’ve never had a misfire with the gun, but I have had the primer fall out on me. Do you have any recommendations for keeping the primer seated in the breech plug nice and tight? I’m more concerned about this when I’m hunting than when I’m practicing with it. The other part of my question is what recommendations do you have for covering up the action up altogether? I don’t really want to buy something I’d much rather make it myself because I love to hunt when its snowing or raining out and I want to keep things as dry and clean as I can.

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Making a good thing even better
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »
Not sure about the action on the Eclipse but I have an Optima with a break action. I use Remington clean bore primers and they are loose enough that if you break it open and turn the gun sideways,  the primer will fall out on its own. I brought this up on another site and everyone indicated it was no big deal. With the Optima being break action, everything is nice and snug while closed. I have never had a misfire or any issues. The positive is that I do not have to carry a pick with me!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Making a good thing even better
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:15:28 AM »

Don't know if this will help or not..I just order one of the Vari-flame adapter kits to try out on my 50 cal Elite barrel...It gets a little dirty on the inside and the primers are a little loose...so I'll see if these help on both regards...They may have something that will work for you...http://www.bpbullets.com/rate_of_twist_muzzleloader_bullets_chart.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...