Author Topic: Smoke coming out from under the forestock  (Read 692 times)

Offline FrankD

• Trade Count: (0)
Smoke coming out from under the forestock
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:08:22 AM »
Okay, so I went out to sight in my new scope yesterday and noticed that when I shot my Optima Elite, smoke was coming out from under the forestock.  What would have caused this?  I noticed a lot of crud on the frame wall behind the breach plug (don't know the technical term for it - right in front of the hammer).  With opening day being tomorrow, I'm kind of concerned that something may be wrong with my OE and not wanting to shoot it for safety reasons. 

Is it just me, or does this happen to others?

Oh, and I broke my ramrod too.   :'(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Smoke coming out from under the forestock
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:05:29 AM »
At firing, a muzzleloader barrel allows some gases to come back thru the ignition system since it's not entirely sealed, fouling on the standing breech is normal. If you have concerns, contact CVA for their opinion, see the CS sticky for contact info, you can order a new rod too. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FrankD

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  However, being a worry wart when I don't know alot about certain areas, I figured that it was best to ask.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »
I noticed my OE doing the same thing with the forend,it's a port under the barrel and in front of the mounting lug of the hinge.I noticed it when I had it in the sink running a swab in and out,and water was shooting out of the hole.There's a hole drilled under the breach plug that go's to the front of the barrel and exits near the end of the ram rod.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline FrankD

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »
Thanks for the info Ditchdigger.  I haven't had to take mine apart yet, but always wondered how my cleaning solution was running out of the barrel - into the forestock area.  That completely makes sense now.