Author Topic: Neck length  (Read 832 times)

Offline Ebjonnes

• Trade Count: (0)
Neck length
« on: March 29, 2007, 07:51:50 AM »
Hi. I've allways used the old rule that says neck length should be as long as the bullet dia.,or longer.I am working on a new wildcat that will only allow a .240 length neck for a .310 dia. bullet. Do you guys think this short neck will be OK? Thanks

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
look up/ study
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:08:14 AM »
Over 50 years ago, the .300 Savage was considered for the new army rifle caliber. It was considered to have too little neck/bullet "hold" for use in full auto. Since I doubt you are considering full auto use... Don't recall the exact length of the .300 Savage neck, but it has served for decades, except with the heaviest bullets. Obviously, the .308/ 7.62x51 NATO came out instead. luck.

Offline Ebjonnes

Re: Neck length
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:51:23 AM »
iiranger ,  Cool the 300 Savage only has .192 for a neck. Just needed a push in the right direction Thanks

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Re: Neck length
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »
The idea of having the neck caliber length has long ago been disproved, .240 neck in any .308 will be fine and even a .200 neck in most will be just fine except for the really large volume cases. You only need enough neck to provide enough neck tension to properly get the column of powder burning anything over that is a waste. Now, that is also assuming a good chamber, sloppy chambers do benefit from more tension.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com