Author Topic: PICS of Naval Carriages and diameter to drill vent hole to fit liner  (Read 1833 times)

Offline rsvkeith@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (0)
MY HERN 5/8 scale carronade arrived yesterday! Unfortunately the plans they sent for constructing a naval carriage are not detailed enough for me to figure out. Does anyone have pics of their carriage (Top view, rear view, front view, bottom view, besides the well known side view) that they could post or send me? If I see a picture I can build it. Finally, what would be a good diameter hole to bore for the vent to then install a stainless steel or copper bolt liner? I plan on using fuse, it appears to be 1/8 inch, do you bore your hole in your liner to that size to make the fuse fit tight or slide easily?

Thanks,

Keith
P.S. I plan to have all this done by the middle of next month so I can use the cannon to start a sailboat race for which I plan to post a bunch of pics so everyone can see the fruits of their suggestions in action!

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
Re: PICS of Naval Carriages and diameter to drill vent hole to fit liner
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »
Keith,
here is a picture of a carriage for the full size hern barrel that I did for a customer.  If you need more information you can reach me at len@dicannonworks.com

Len

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 04:46:23 AM »
Fuse hole  size is 1 1/2 calibers.  1/8 inch fuse 3/16th fuse hole.

Now the carriage

In order to save this drawing big enough to read and use following these instruction.  Start by printing this page. It will be easier to follow the instructions.

Now right click on the drawing. Select Copy.  Open a Word document and on the document  right click  and select paste .  Click any where on the pasted drawing.  Right click and select format picture. When the format window opens click on the layout tab and click on the square wrapping Icon.  The select left horizontal alignment.  Now click on the size tab and type 10.9 in the height window and click okay.  Don't forget to save it.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 05:14:20 AM »
If you want to use quills made from paper straws as well as fuse, you will be using 3/16 inch OD paper straws more than likely. That being said, if you wish the option of using them as well a tad bigger than DD's suggested 3/16 will be preferred.

In a public setting, quills are safer to use than fuse.

.200 works well for me.

Of course, if you make is 3/16 now, you can always drill it bigger later... especially if you use a copper liner.

I posted some pictures of a couple of naval carriage style original carronades a while back. I took the pictures in from of a museum in Salem, Massachuusetts earlier this year.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,112659.0.html

I must admit, they are much cruder looking than most modern repro's seem to turn out. That being said, if yours comes out a little rough looking, look at the originals again and know you did a better job than they did

:D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
I'm not saying 3/16 for fuse hole....I am saying 1 1/2 calibers for fuse hole.

For  example if your fuse  is  1/8" in diameter  then  1 1/2 times 1/8" is 3/16".  If you fuse  1/2 inch in diameter your fuse hole would be  3/4 inch.  1 1/2 time  1/2 inch.

Fuse hole  size should be  1 1/2 calibers.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »
so your saying 3/16 inch hole bored in the stainless or copper bolt used as the liner for the 1/8 inch fuse. How big of a bolt should one use?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:12:05 AM »
At least 3/8" for a 3/16" hole.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 08:14:18 AM »
Thanks for correcting my generailization of your statement DD.... if the fuse is bigger, the hole needs to be bigger.

For what it is worth, the 3/16 paper straws have fit nicely into the .200 hole. I havn't had any need to keep the vent hole spotless to get them in. I don't know why the hole doesn't seem to need to be bigger, but the straws slide in with no effort whatsoever. It is possible that paper straws are made to a tighter tolerance than cannon fuse.

I use a 3/16 brass rod for a vent cleaner/ punch.

Speaking of fuse larger than 1/8 inch, my understanding is that it is sometimes difficult to legally obtain. From what I gather, 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch fuse is considered "time delay fuse" and the ATF feels that it is generally used for purposes other than sporting use. The dealers will often want to see an explosive permit of some sort before they will sell it. I have seen exceptions to that statement... once in a while 1/4 inch fuse shows up on the pyro web sites for general sales, intended to initiate arial charges. In fact, at this instant there is some Chinese made 1/4 time delay fuse available on one of the pyro web sites. It burns at 3 seconds per inch, which is pretty slow for cannon use. It also costs 75 cents a foot, as compaired to under 10 cents a foot for 1/8 inch.

Im not sure how the ATF decides what is regulated or not, but it is probably safer to assume that 1/8 inch fuse is the easiest to get.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 09:59:47 AM »
Here are a few photos of my 5/8 scale Carronade. This carriage/truck was built by a known cannon maker some years back. I did not have them build it specifically for me. This 5/8 scale Carronade was part of a spontaneous purchase from the previous owner, along with a Full Scale Carronade (seen in my avatar).

If, you need more details or photos of this just let me know.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
very purty intoodeep.  :D

I picked up some 8 inch cast iron wheels for my planned full sized to today. I don't know if steel wheels were used on originals, and if they were, how often they were. Mine is going to sit on the front lawn, but have to take a ride out back behind my Farmall to actually shoot live ammo. The wheels are going to take a beating so I thought that wood would not hold up.

I guess at this point I am going to look at all the ideas I can find and make a sort of mutation ... something old, something new, based on practicality and poetic license. I don't think there will be anything in it that could not have been done 200 years ago, so it could be a replica of a 200 year old, long forgotten mutant.

Rick

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 12:53:57 PM »
Rick,

very purty intoodeep.  :D
Thanks!

The full scale Cannonade (seen below) was made by Cannon LTD. It has wooden wheels also, which I really don't care for since they do not roll very well. But, I guess they weren't supposed to roll much on a ship.... ;D I think your cast iron wheels will work fine.

I was told the other day wooden wheels on a Naval Carriage were for use on ships. Iron wheels were used on land. It sound logical to me. :)  :)  :)

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 01:22:10 PM »
I want to thank everyone for all the responses and Pics. It was just what I need to make my own carriage and drill and tap my vent hole. When I'm finished, Y'all will be the first to see the pics when I touch'er off at sunset!

Keith

Offline Smoke n oak

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 03:00:12 PM »
Hay, thanks for the plans for the naval carriage. This will help with my new project.  ;D
Smoke n oak

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 03:50:26 PM »
The small diameter wheels of naval/garrison carriages are designed to roll on hard surfaces, not on grass or dirt.  A mounted gun wouldn't be moved very far on its own wheels.  For a move of any size, it would be slung and carried on a large wheeled vehicle.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill