Author Topic: USH 12ga. Test Results  (Read 841 times)

Offline st8tman

• Trade Count: (0)
USH 12ga. Test Results
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:39:52 PM »
     Having recently purchased a new USH I had the opportunity to test several different loads in an attempt to identify what load works best in My gun. I realize each gun is an individual and will typically prefer it's own load, nonetheless I thought my test session may benefit someone out there. Incidentally I intend on using the USH on a couple of Spring Bear hunts, therefore I limited my testing to 50yds, as these baited hunts are typically 50 yds and closer.I also fired three shot groups per type; with bore brushing and swapping between groups.
     Winchester 3" BRI Sabots Slugs(XRS123):  One ragged hole
     Brenneke KO Sabot 3":                           Very Very Small Cloverleaf
     Remington Buckhammer 3":                     2 touching/1 single= less than inch
     Brenneke Black Magic 3":                         2 touching/1 single= less than inch (slightly larger than buckhammer group)
     Remington Coppersolids 3":                      2 almost touching/1 single= Approximately 1.25 in.
     Brenneke Supersabot 3":                         2 almost touching/1 single= Approximately 1.35in.
     Hastings Lazer Mag 3":                             None touching...= Approximately 1.65 in.
     Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4":                    None touching...= Approximately 2.5 in.
     Federal Barnes Expanders 3":                    None touching...= Approximately 4.0 in.

Although the BRI's and Brenneke KO Sabots were slightly more accurate, I decided to go with the higher energy and mass of the Buckhammer for Spring Bear as I may have the opportunity to encounter some very large animals in Alberta. Hope this information may benefit some other USH owner.

PS: After firing roughly 35 3" slugs for the session and especially after the Black Magics and Buckhammers I went straight home and made me an Ice Bag!                             

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: USH 12ga. Test Results
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:32:11 AM »
         I also got a new USH three weeks ago. I went to the range yesterday for the third time with it. I reload all my slugs except the BRI's, wish I could get those to reload! I shot forty rounds from a MTM shoulder gaurd rest and my arm is still black and blue. As you said the BRI's one not so ragged hole, but the next best for me was the Lyman 525 gr. at around 1500 fps- one ragged hole. Next the SPW Hammerheads- 1 1/2", the Lightfield Commander IDS 2 1/2", and the Lee Key drive at over one foot. Good luck on your bear hunt.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline st8tman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »
Eye Shot,
                I am not equipped to reload, but find your results interesting. I am somewhat new to the "slug world" but so far have really enjoyed messing with this gun. I almost started to stock up on the Brenneke KO Sabots, but they give up almost 600lbs energy behind the Buckhammers. I realize shot placement is everything, but the way I figure it every little bit helps when it comes  crunch time. By the way I sent my gun back to H&R and had them do the trigger to a nice crisp 3.25 lbs. This really seemed to improve my ability to analyze loads from the bench. I have gotten some "good natured" ribbing from guys about my "bear killin slug gun", but if the range is any indication, I am willing to bet my $200 single shot and Remington Buckhammers will get the last laugh. Take care!

Huntsman1

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 07:11:41 PM »
Over a foot with the Drive Key's? I don't feel so bad then considering they shot like crap thru my rifled choke.
Hmmmmmm????? NEF Tracker II.....H&R USH........Mossberg 535 ATS..or a T/C Encore rifled barrel?????
I've read nothing but "top-notch" reviews about the USH.
And they're in my price range!
Damn!

Offline bakabob

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:35:47 AM »
         I also got a new USH three weeks ago. I went to the range yesterday for the third time with it. I reload all my slugs except the BRI's, wish I could get those to reload! I shot forty rounds from a MTM shoulder gaurd rest and my arm is still black and blue. As you said the BRI's one not so ragged hole, but the next best for me was the Lyman 525 gr. at around 1500 fps- one ragged hole. Next the SPW Hammerheads- 1 1/2", the Lightfield Commander IDS 2 1/2", and the Lee Key drive at over one foot. Good luck on your bear hunt.

Have you tried loading the Collet Cup Sabots using 45 cal bullets.  Very accurate and reasonable recoil. 

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 08:48:37 AM »
       I haven't tried the Collet cups and probably won't. The twist in my USH is to slow, they cost too much, I shoot slugs not rifle bullets, and use my muzzle loader for .45 bullets. I may have missed it but I haven't seen any pictures on a forum yet of tight 100yrd groups with the Collet cups. I have seen pictures of tight goups with others BRI, Lyman, and Hastings to name a few. I'm a 100yrd. hunter with a slug gun, I guess fast and 200 yrd. shots don't mean anything for now. If I ever get a faster twist gun who knows.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline bakabob

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »
My USH is a 20 ga with a faster twist than your 12 ga so yours may not shoot CCS slugs as well as mine.  I have shot numerous different slugs with this gun and have found the CCS to be the most accurate by far and using the 300 grain XTP slug I know the knock down power is there out to 100 yards and that is about as far as I ever shoot.  They are more costly without doubt.  The sabots cost 70 cents each and the gas seal 10 cents so the finished slug runs about $1.25 each.  At the range I use a lot of the lyman 350 grain but for my hunting I will be going with the CCS.  Since I am 75 years old the recoil is an important factor with me which is why I sold my 12 ga slug gun last year and went to the 20 USH.