Author Topic: What grease groove to use in a sixgun?  (Read 747 times)

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
What grease groove to use in a sixgun?
« on: May 19, 2003, 04:11:44 AM »
Here we go again Lloyd,begging for opinions!If I order a .452" X 325 grain plain base Keith style mold should I get a square bottom grease groove or a 45 degree angled grease groove.I am thinking Mountain Molds in brass,as I have had Jeff Tanner's Moulds in round ball(gang moulds) all to have great results.Is there a reason why I should use aluminum?Are the aluminum blocks Mountain Molds uses as good as Veral Smith's alumium blocks?Thanks once again Friends,Jeff,276-783-9746.
John 3:16

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 06:33:07 AM »
One of the things that make a Keith a Keith is the shape of the grease groove. It is not square, but it IS flat at the bottom to hold a goodly portion of lube.  The sides are not at a 90 degree angle, but are around 100 degrees so they release from the mould after the bullet cools and shrinks.  More angle and you cut down too much on bearing surface.  The driving band should be the same size as the bullet body and as wide, or nearly as wide as the middle and rear bands.  This is to help guide the bullet as it passes through the throat and forcing cone.  As far as aluminum or brass, personally I wouldn't care, nor would I necessarily insist on an iron mould.  The non-ferrous metals definately have an advantage during storage due to their relatively low oxidation rates.

Offline Paul H

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 11:02:46 AM »
I wouldn't sweat the grease groove design.  I've used both keith style, and LBT shallow rounded grooves, I haven't seen any difference.

As far as mold materials, I really like cast iron and steel molds, ballisticast being my favorite, but they are pricey.  I have a buddies Mountain mold that is brass, and it casts ok.  I've only cast two brass molds, this one and an applegate, and I've found them to be the most finicky mold material, there seems to be a narrow band of mold temperature that results in good bullets, not too hot, and not too cool.  I've never had a problem with aluminum molds, I've used NEI, LBT, Hock and I have a handfull of lee molds.

The only thing I don't like about MM, is the aluminum sprue plate.  Other then that, he offers a good custom mold at a fair price, but I'd save the $ and get it in aluminum.

Offline Lvl1trauma

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 04:28:52 PM »
I have never noticed the difference before but on the MM web site, he states that lube grooves that are 90 degrees are harder to make the bullet drop freely from. The default lube groove angle at MM is something around 45 degrees for this reason. It is on the MM web site. Correct me if I am wrong as I am going from memory. I hope to find out in about 3 or 4 more weeks, though...

Beau

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 12:19:42 AM »
these are my opinions nothing scientific to back them. I like a kieth bullet period. A real kieth! I like big grease groves. I have shot and have had good luck with some of the lbt designs but even in an lfn I like a big grove that holds lots of lube. Might be some advantage to the multiple small groves if your using the crappy hard lubes. As far as mold materials my preference in this order are Iron preferable in a ballistic cast mold! Brass is good to the applegate molds are real nice but they are a little more temp sensitive. Aluminum is probably the easiest to cast with especially for the big bullets because they cool faster but im a little rough on my equipment and there not near as durable. Veral makes some nice bullet designs now if we could just get him to make them in iron! and a dream of mine would be for lee to make a reasonably priced iron version of there molds. They have a few real good designs but You have to buy them two or three at a time cause they do wear out! I still havent casted with a mountain mold but have heard lots good about them and nothing bad. If it was my money though id order them in iron with one big square grease grove!
blue lives matter