Author Topic: Why are we so quick to let people go at forums?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why are we so quick to let people go at forums?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 03:57:16 AM »
Well I cant or wont speak ;D   JIM

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 06:26:38 AM »
I am sorry

I must have not typed everything I should have

This post was not started because of any one incident and not just for this forum.

All I meant is that I go to many forums and sometimes I see trolls that get what they deserve and other times I see, what I perceive as, a newcomer that is ignorant to certain laws for whatever reason dragged over broken glass because of some innocent mistake.

An example could be something like this.  Forumite makes a new post and mentions something that is not legal like making a short barreled shotgun without the proper paperwork.  (Some people do not know this is not legal) Next thing you know a mod jumps up and says "this is against federal law" and locks the thread.  The same message could be given by saying " this thread is not legal due to the fact that there are restrictions on short barreled firearms and will be closed"  and then contact the person privately and help them to know the facts of life.  If they are a troll then deal appropriately. 

This actually happened to me where a member had their post locked like this so I privately explained to the guy the facts of life.  He had no idea about such things so I helped him find what he needed to do so legally.

Some times those people leave, sometimes they don't.

I just feel that many people in this world today would rather just kick a fellow forumite out of a website then take a few minutes to fix a potential unintentional mistake.

And I am not just talking about moderators but everyone.

I don't know maybe I am just too peaceful and don't like confrontation.

Just to reiterate this post is not a bash against this forums owners.  This is a good place.

Later
Kid

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »
I say get a thick skin and deal with it, it is going to happen. I don't think everyone needs to be treated like a baby. If someone want to whine and cry or post something off the wall, expect to have someone set them straight. My kids are grown, I don't need to pamper someone else's.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA