Author Topic: 300 win mag bullets for deer  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
300 win mag bullets for deer
« on: March 17, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »
My brother bought a rifle in 300 WM today and we have been debating bullet type and weight for white tail deer. He wants 150 grain bullets and I say 180 grain deliver more energy at all ranges. Then there is the premium or standard bullet question. Does it really matter when its a 300 mag verses white tail deer?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: 300 win mag bullets for deer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:37:42 AM »
 YES it does matter! I did a post awhile back where I was blowing up 180grn Ballistic tips on deer using a light 300 WBY load even at 150 yds. Use a tougher bullet! A partition or grand slam comes to mind something that can handle the higher impact velocities. 150 vs 180 it really doesn't matter inside typical hunting ranges. This year I'm going to step down in bullet weight and step up in construction at the same time. I'll be shooting 150grn partitions this time round. If an exit hole is important to you use a tough bullet. Besides that if you use a properly constructed projectile meat damage won't be any more and possibly less than with a .308 / 30-06 class cartridge

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 02:54:54 AM »
My 300 Win Mag and 300 Rum both like the Barnes 165 gr. Bullets. Maybe not needed on a deer, but for the velocity the Barnes bullets work great. I just hope this thread does not turn into a premium or standard bullet debate like it always does. Good luck cheesehead with you bullet choices.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:10:11 AM »
FWIW, a buddy was shooting a 30-338 and 150's at some godawful velocity.  He was really hyped by his velocity but the game animals he shot were pretty grusome to look at.  We talked him into using 180's and the damage was about like a .270 or 30-06. 
I think a .300Winnie was made to shoot a 200gr bullet and have never shot anything else in mine.  IMO, a Grand Slam is a little too hard for deer but I've used them when elk and deer were both on the slate.  For that matter, I've used them on antelope, but you have to be careful.  A 200gr NP works well.  For deer only a 200gr Speer Hot Core @ 2900fps is awful good.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 06:44:05 AM »
I'm with the Beeman on this,,,,again. The 200 gr bullet seem's the perfect match for a 300 mag. I'm courious tho, if all your brother want's to shoot are 150 gr bullet's, why did he get a 300 win mag? As for more energy at all ranges, you are right. Out of a 300 win mag at 100 yds the 150 gr has 3019 ft lbs e; the 180 rs has 3082 ft lbs e. At 300 yds the 150 gr has 2057 lbs and the 180 gr 2230 lbs. The only real world difference will be the 300's ability to tear one bullet apart faster than the other. I doubt that it will tear up a 150 gr Barnes and I also doubt the 150 gr Barnes will kill a deer any deader. I also doubt it will tear up a 200 gr cup and core and I doubt the 200 gr will kill the deer any deader. I think that the velocity and weight of the the bullet should determine it's construction. We are only talking about a deer here!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 08:51:06 AM »
My brother is fascinated with high velocity and flat trajectory, and the 300 mag with the 150 grain bullets produces impressive figures. He is new to this type of rifle/cartridge combination. The range at which most shooting opportunities occur are under 200 yards in our area of NW Wisconsin so trajectory is hardly a consideration regardless of bullet weight. So, I have been trying to impress upon him to take advantage of my huge inventory of heavier bullets since I reload and he does not. At one time I did own a 300 Win mag but no more, so i still have many components for this cartridge. There are so many 30 caliber options it is mind boggling. I have a number of 200 grain bullets I would like him to try since they would not be a good option for my 308 Win. Thanks everyone for the interesting opinions.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:12:18 AM »
Oh well, it's like a kid with a new car.  If you ask him about displacement or ratios, you get the "duh" look but he can tell you how fast it'll go.  ::)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »
Cheesehead, just down load the 300 Win Mag to 30-06 levels and use what ever bullet shoot's the best out of his rifle.  I don't use my 300 WM or 300 RUM for deer hunting, I have a 30-30, 45-70 and 30-06 for that. Unless I knew I was going to be doing some long range shooting, but that is another story.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 11:34:38 AM »
Wow. He doesn't reload. Just load up whatever you want and let him think what he want's to think. Tell him you got the heavy bullet going 3500fps but because of the magic of special powder and proper bullet seating, it recoils very little! Of course you might also want him to know that the 150 gr bullet will disenagrate in flight at 3301fps! ::)
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:18 PM »
I lie the Nosler Accubond for deer in 180 grains in my WSM. I'm sure that others will do fine, I just like the idea of a heavier, bonded bullet to peform and hold together at CLOSE range, as well as longer range. It's probably overkill, but they shoot great out of my rifle, and, as the saying goes, there is no such thing as too dead!  Also, when you consider the prices of everything else that goes into hunting, a few more bucks for hedging your bet at the moment of truth seems worth it to me.

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
I shoot 165 grain NBT's in my 300 Win for whitetail with good performance.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 05:24:59 AM »
I finally settled on the 165 Grand Slams or Noslers Partitions for all my 300 Win hunting. At one time it was used for everything from whites to elk/bear.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007