Author Topic: Scope Magnification suggestions  (Read 703 times)

Offline skamaniac

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Scope Magnification suggestions
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:49:08 AM »
Looking for some input on scope magnification.  I will be using this for predators mostly out to 150 yds but occasionally 200+.

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: Scope Magnification suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:51:50 AM »
            A fixed 6 power would be plenty or go with a 2x7 - 3x9 and put it on six.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:40:57 AM »
            A fixed 6 power would be plenty or go with a 2x7 - 3x9 and put it on six.

Good advice. A fixed 6x will have slightly better field of view and be brighter than the variable. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline wncchester

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »
[quote Good advice. A fixed 6x will have slightly better field of view and be brighter than the variable. ;)  [/quote]

That is VERY good advice!  The scope market shows people are nuts on greater magnification and that's fine for the makers.  But experienced hunters know there is more to the equation than that.   Consider this; at 6x 150 yd a critter looks 25 yds away, while 20x makes it look 7 1/2 yards away.  If you can't hit a ground hog, etc, at an apparent 25 yards could you really do better at 7 1/2?  On the other hand, it can be REALLY HARD TO FIND a ground hog in the narrow field of a 20x scope, especially so if the light is low!

A fixed 6x or 10x is ideal for those ranges.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:16:55 PM »
I would agree with the fixed 6 guys.  Without knowing much about what all you shoot, what you want to spend, etc. I was gonna say that the usual 3 X 9 is a versatile scope, there are some really good ones for less than $200, and they are kind of a sweet spot for value and versatility.  But, I have been kind of going back to the good old fixed powers lately and a 6X, I think, is an excellent choice for what you are looking for.  I think the Weaver K6 is a nice clear and bright scope. For $129 at the Optic Zone, I think it would do a super job for you and is really a nice reliable scope.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline tuck2

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:47:34 PM »
For prairie dog shooting I like a 4-12 X w AO on the 17 HM2, a 4.5-14X w/AO on the 17 HMR, and the center fire .204 Ruger and .224 Cal rifles I use 4.5-14 X w AO, 6-18 X w/AO ,and a 6.5-20 X w/AO scopes. A prairie dog part way out of its hole is a small target. I have a 12x scope on a 223 Rem  and wish it was a 6-18 X scope. When I take out a rifle with the 6.5-20X scope its turned down to 16 or 18 X because of the limited feild of view at 20 X. For small game and other varmints I may turn the scope down to the lowest X power.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »
I have a K6 Weaver that is an excellent scope, plan on getting several more............

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:25:21 PM »
My conception of a predator rifle is  accurate, portable, quick and easy to deploy, adequate cartridge for coyotes, with a bright, adequate field of view, adequate magnification, simple, durable, relatively lightweight scope. Mine is a Savage bolt .223 with synthetic stock and the barrel clipped to 20".  Super accurate and really handles nice.  I have a  3 X 9 on it now, but am going to switch to the K6. 
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.