Author Topic: What Cartridge / Bullet for Self Defense Carry  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
What Cartridge / Bullet for Self Defense Carry
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »
What would be your first choice to load your personal self defense gun with? The gun being a Glock semi automatic in either 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

I'm thinking the first 2 rounds being Glaser Safety Slugs, and then the remainder with Federal Hydra Shok rounds.

Is there a better combination ?

Thanks!

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What Cartridge / Bullet for Self Defense Carry
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:49:09 AM »
Most anything but a frangible would be a better choice in my opinion. I don't believe in a magic bullet. Reliable penetration is a must, expansion along with penetration is a bonus. I would take ball over frangibles.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline KN

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »
I agree with Savage, I find the notion mixing ammo a bad idea. Especially in an auto loader. How do you know just which round you might want first? Stick with the Hydrashocks, Gold Dots, Ranger,Tap, or any of the quality defense grade ammo and you'll be much better off. Find the one you gun likes best and go with it.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:55:16 PM »
I too agree.  Mixing ammo in anything is a problem from the beginning.  I carry and practice with 200gr. Gold Dot in a 45.  Not a Glock though. 

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »
I have never thought much of mixing ammo in a pistol.  I load most of my semi autos with Federal HydraShock.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline S.S.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »
carry what you practice with !
or the practice is not doing you as much  good!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:18:07 PM »
To answer your first question, I'd go with the .45. And like most folks I'd use something other than the frangible stuff. It's more important to reach vital organs.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline JKF59

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 12:13:41 AM »
  Just out of curiosity, is there some evidence or instances that points to the frangible bullets not working adequately? I myself am somewhat dubious of the theory of frangibles as an all around defense bullet but I have seen no evidence pro or con.

Offline 30-30 single

• i love my handi
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »
We use them at the range for practices and found the sig P-229 does not like them the frangible ammunition has a tendency for the lead to brake off flush with the casing causing the weapon to miss feed or miss fire. This was plenty of evidence for me others might have better experience with the ammo.

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »
It's like you asked what's the meaning of life.

Self defense ammo is a question no one agrees with, so I'll give you my opinion.

It really depends on the situation.

First...a home intrusion is different than a confrontation on the street. 

A thug on the street wants to make short work on his target and not attract attention.  It could (not always) take less effort to deflate this situation.  Sometimes just seeing your firearm will make him flee.   Therefore you can sometimes get by with a smaller caliber, such as a .380, especially if concealment and clothing is an issue.

However, any police officer will tell you, a home intrusion is alot more dangerous. In this case, the intruder knows he's taking a chance and could encounter resistance, especially if he knows the home is occupied.  He has made up his mind on what he's going to do, and the risk is acceptable.  Often, he's ready to fight and kill if necessary.  So you must be prepared to stop him immediately.

So you must drop him quickly and not give him an opportunity to fight back.  Otherwise, you and your family could be dead.  Therefore, I would use nothing less than a 9mm and would prefer a 40 S&w or .45 ACP for a handgun.  And preferably have a a good shotgun handy as my first choice.

Just my opinion.  Hope it helps.