Author Topic: Question about Lead Bullets  (Read 946 times)

Offline Rat Rod Mac

• Trade Count: (0)
Question about Lead Bullets
« on: April 19, 2007, 03:57:53 AM »
I need some help. A recently purchased 1892 in 44-40 would like to be shot and I'm the guy to do it. I have heard that you can shoot jacketed bullets in these old rifles, but you should really shoot cast bullets in them. I'm familiar with reloading for high power rifles, but have never messed around with cast bullets, and to be truthful, don't want to get into casting. Question is,, is there a manufacturer out there that sells cast bullets that are ready to be handloaded as they come with no swaging. Just reload and go. From what i've seen, factory loads use around a 200 gr. slug. If you or anyone reading this post has any recommendations or even a pet load I would be very grateful. Thank you.   RRM

Offline 475/480

• Avid Poster
Re: Question about Lead Bullets
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:02:57 AM »
There are plenty of companies that sell cast bullets ready to load and shoot .I think there are a couple on this website that advertise.

Sean

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
The only store bought bullets that I know geing used for the .44-40 come from Buffalo arms, there a swaged flat nosed that these guys use for the Cowboy Shoots. They look very good.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1362.htm

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »
There are a couple sources I know of that have em, Beartooth offers them in different sizes, so it would be wise to slug the bore to get right size for the best accuracy. Be aware that Beartooth may not ship them right away, I've had to wait for 2-3 months before as they had to run what I ordered, waiting on some .432" bullets for a .444 right now, looks like I'll get the gun before the bullets!!

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

http://www.westernbullet.com/cbip/cbip.html

I think Mt Baldy has one or two also...

http://www.mtbaldybullets.com/asp/products.asp

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
Howdy,
I like the hyphenated cartridges, too. .44 WCF bullets are quite common! I use Meister, Lasercast, Magnus, and my own cast bullets. Most commercial bullet casters use Magma moulds, so whosever bullets you buy, they will be the same 200-grain, bevel-base RNFP as the next guy's.
Slug your bore! Groove diameter for the .44-40 should be .427", but I've seen them as large as .431". Rule of thumb says to use a bullet that is .001" larger than groove diameter. I shoot a modern Marlin 1894, EMF Hartford revolvers, and an Uberti 1873. I try to use .428" bullets, but will settle for .429". .430" will sometimes refuse to chamber and .427" isn't quite tight enough, but will still shoot good.
I use Winchester brass because it is very thin, hence more internal space for black powder! I load on a Dillon 550 and use Hornady one-shot case lube spray on the brass. I like 6.5 grains of Unique, but the new Trailboss powder is quite impressive in large capacity black powder cases. My new favorite load, that I would hunt with, uses Hodgdon's 777 and a 200-grain bullet.
Basically this is not a .44 magnum, and although your rifle is quite strong, this cartridge case isn't the one to hold all that pressure. The thin brass really seals the chamber well, so if you choose to shoot black powder, 99% of the soot will be trapped in the barrel. The greatest thing about this bottle-necked case is the tendency to fall into the chamber easily, and pop right out when empty.
Enjoy the rifle. You will, of course, have to buy another in .38-40.

Bitterroot

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:56:27 PM »
If your 1892 is an original, the rifling and the throating was probably designed to use bullets that are cast of 1 to 20 tin lead alloy. The best accuracy will be found with this alloy and velocity near the original 1200 fps. Lyman makes molds that are near the original bullet shape. You may find a custom caster willing to cast bullet of 1-20, near you by checking the local gun shops or gun shows. If you gun is a repo, bullets cast of wheel weights + 2% tin should work good. Most commercial cast bullets are cast of hard alloys and may lead and not give good accuracy even at 1200 fps.