Author Topic: favorite elk round  (Read 1429 times)

Offline onesonek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
favorite elk round
« on: March 31, 2003, 02:32:06 PM »
:D  I'm just curious. Some years ago I read a survey of guides, and experienced elk hunters on they're "recommeded, or favorite" elk "rounds".  So I  would just like to hear some of the thoughts today. Just thought it would interesting to compare.  :D  On.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
favorite elk round
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 03:34:39 PM »
:grin: In my 30.06 . I use a 165gr. Nosler partition and WW760 powder.
It's just average accuracy but easy and consistant to load and has worked well on two elk. It's a bit on the hot side so I'm hesitant to say just how much powder I use.
I loaded 250 grain speer spitzer bullets for my 35 whelan but never got the chance to use it on elk but they sure drop deer. :biggun:

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
favorite elk round
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 02:37:53 AM »
Well, I've never hunted them with a rifle, but 100 grains of Pyrodex (two pellets) under a 300 grain saboted XTP works right well!

Offline Robert

I am certainly going to watch THIS topic...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 06:40:38 AM »
Fred...What in blazes are you doing with an -06 in the feild when you have a 35 Whelan?  I havent tried the Whelan yet, but it is definately on my list.
I started out with an -06 for Elk and it worked excellent.  I have heard from other folk that the Whelan out-performs the -06 in every way, certainly has more knockdown power and even with the larger bullet, it dosent sacrifice any velocity.
  The last few years I have used a 300 Ultra-Mag for Elk and I am not sure that it is an improvement over the 30-06.  It certainly is better for longer shots, but I have noticed that when long shots present themself..I havent taken it.  I am just NOT comfortable taking a chance of wounding an animal and having it run off.  I prefer to wait for the RIGHT shot within 200 yds or so. At this range the 30-06 is excellent and the 35 Whelan is better.  The Ultra-Mag tends to blow through an animal so fast, that there isnt enough energy from the bullet for 'knock down'.  I have seen it 3 times now, Elk just stand there for a few seconds like nothing happened, then take off at a full run.  All 3 were lung shot and died quickly, but you would be amazed how far into cover an Elk can travel in 15 seconds.
  I am possitive this wouldnt happen with a 35 Whelan.
....make it count

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
favorite elk round
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 12:23:48 PM »
:D Robert, I didn't have the whelan when I started elk hunting. I built it about 5 years ago on a mauser action. I've only had it elk hunting one time. There's about 300 to 400 fps difference in the velocities between the 30.06 load I use and the Whelan. Both guns are accurate and I have full confidence  in either out to 300 yds. :biggun:

Offline Lawdog

favorite elk round
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 10:07:11 AM »
My number one favorite Elk cartridge is my .300 Weatherby using 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. Second is my .7mm Weatherby with 160 gr. Nosler Partitions.  Both have worked fine in the past.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Favorite Elk Cartridges
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 10:36:01 PM »
I'd have to go with either the .454Casull or .475Linebaugh. I generally hunt in country I'm very familiar with and know where the herds are. If I hunted in real open country, I'd use a .338JDJ#2, .376Steyr, or my .41Whammy in an Encore. I can't pull a bow anymore due to an old shoulder injury aggravated by old age. So I've taken up the challenge of handgun hunting years back. I handgun hunt just like I used to bow hunt. Get in close, then get a little closer. :-D RKBA!
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
favorite elk round
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 02:49:28 PM »
I've hunted them with a lot of different calibers up tto a 338 Win Mag. Got tired of the kick and have gone back to a 270. Killed my elk last year with a 270 and it did just fine and I didn't "walk funny" after the shot.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
Elk caliber????
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 01:58:31 PM »
Hi guys. I need some help. I just picked up a Weatherby 30-378 that has exactly 13 rounds thru it. It is topped with a Leuopld VXIII 4.5x14, dies, brass, ammo, and a 5lb can of 5010. Cost? I will not embarrass the guy who sold it to me, but a fella can buy a new Leupold for more money! He said it kicked the snot out of him. I wanted it , I got it. He and I are very happy campers! I took it ot the range and I am amazed at how little it kicks. I was shooting from a bench, and I still can't believe it. I sighted 3" at 100 and it's still 3" high at 200, and it was under 2" group. That's as far as I can shoot locally. This is with the 180 Noslers. Does anyone have a favorite load, or info? I've never re-loaded a Weath'by case. Is is difficult? As far as recoil goes, I have a Ruger M77RSI in .308 winchester that kicks and hurts like a small mule! The Weath'by brake is extremely efficient. Anyone els have similar experience with these rifles.
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline Kirkned

• Trade Count: (2)
favorite elk round
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 08:18:11 AM »
300 Winchester Mag., Reloader 22, 190 gr. Hornady= One Dead Elk Out to as far as I care to shoot and even farther. :-D

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
favorite elk round
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 04:32:04 PM »
Well, in any case, and if my memory serves me right.  The original article polled 33 individuals. And 30% of those chose the 30-06, for it's reasonable power, and shootability.  The 300 mags came in second, with their range advantage.  Third, were, I think 3 or 4 for the 7 mags.  Two went to the 338 Win mag.  One 280, and one 270, used with caution on range.  A later, but similar article ( year ago ), 90% went to the 300 mags.  I have my own theory as to the change, between then and now.  I think range is 90% of the equation.  Personally, I like power for Elk, but still prefer to keep my shots at 250 yds or less. Most the time, much less.  :D  On

Offline WyoHunter

• Make each hunt an experience you'll never forget!
favorite elk round
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 12:32:09 PM »
Make mine a .338-06 with a 210 Nosler Partition!  :-)
Make each hunt an experience to remember!

NRA Life Member