Author Topic: 223 ammo  (Read 992 times)

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
223 ammo
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
anyone use ultramax 55gr. fmj. how good is it.

thanks bighemidaddy

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 223 ammo
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:34:19 AM »
I bought a whole bunch of it at Dicks  because the price was cheaper than any other ammo they had at the time. In my Handy I have been getting about 2 1/2 inch groups at 100yds. With my 50 grn handloads  I can shoot 3/4 inch and less. So I just use the ultramax for plinking and to reuse the brass.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:40:33 AM »
Yep , that about sums it up , if you want a fun plunker to hit clay targets at 100 it will work ok , if you want to hit a .50 peice , plan on using lots of rounds and having lots of luck .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »
Ditto.

I bought a box of 50 Ultramax loaded with hollow points to try in my 24" Wal-Mart Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard & was very disappointed.  >2" @100yds.  At least it's decent Lake City brass.
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 04:58:28 PM »
I guess we are all 'dead-in-the-water' on WWB ammo. At least there is none to be had up here in Canuckistan. To bad no one figured out what powder they used.

Mc

Offline WyrTwister

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »
Ditto.

I bought a box of 50 Ultramax loaded with hollow points to try in my 24" Wal-Mart Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard & was very disappointed.  >2" @100yds.  At least it's decent Lake City brass.

I bought 3,000 rounds of once fired USGI LC brass about 8 - 10 years ago .  :-)

Add to that the range brass I have picked up , I doubt I will ever run out .  :-)

God bless
Wyr

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:17:34 AM »
My Handy shoots best with 45 and 50 grn bullets using IMR 3031 and CCI magnum primers.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
I may suggest stepping down to the ultramax in a 40 or 50 nosler bt for your handi. I had a box of 55fmj and it shot better than your reports, but I still wanted more. I went on to try the other two mentioned and the 50 gr nosler from ultramax shoots sub moa everytime I pull the trigger. Just cleaned it this weekend and the first through 5 round were dead on.  I expected a little off for the fowling shots, but that wasn't the case this time.  It just goes to show how different ammo can act in every rifle.  Seems bullet wheight and type also make a huge difference in my handi.  I ordered some of the wisconsin catridge company rounds as well to give them a try. i think the price was about $25 for 100 rds of 55 gr vmax.  Little heavier, but that is not a bad price if the accuracy rings true. I know quick put up a link to it a while back, I will be able to put it back later. I am at work and don't have the sight saved to this computer.
TJM

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »
I guess we are all 'dead-in-the-water' on WWB ammo. At least there is none to be had up here in Canuckistan. To bad no one figured out what powder they used.

Mc

I just found and bought a case of WWB at a gun store near where my brother lives.  He is going to pick it up for me tonight.  They have 2 boxes left.  I probably should have bought them also, but have never shot them out of my gun (Handi HB) before.  I can't wait to try it.

The store owner said they are scheduled to get more in October, but who knows.

Range report soon I hope.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:47:33 AM »
Hope they shoot as good for you as they do for me, I'm hoarding 400+ rounds of it, have dies too, but no reason to reload for it.....yet!!

Congrats!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »
"My Handy shoots best with 45 and 50 grn bullets using IMR 3031 and CCI magnum primers."

i am a fan of IMR 3031 and use it extensively in .223, .308, and 30-06.  One of my favorite .223 loads uses WCC case,  a CCI 400 primer, a 45 grain Rem. hollow point and 25.7 grains of IMR 3031.  It really zaps the coyotes.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »
Sportsman's Warehouse is almost out of .223 ammo.  They have four boxes of Black Hills, and some Hornady stuff, and that's it.  I asked what is going on?  Was told everything in .223 is being shipped to the big sand box.  Looks like I might have to start reloading that stuff too.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »
I was told that is why the prices have been on the rise, but I have not had a problem finding it. If that is the case it might be a good time for me to buy my first press and finally start reloading.  Been doing a lot of reading of manuals and talking to people in the know, it is only a matter of time before I start.
TJM

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »
When I got my Ultra, I bought a whole buncha different .223 loads, including some 52 gr. Ultramax.  Dam rifle didn't shoot ANYTHING worth beans until I started loading for it.

The rest of the story:  a month or two back, I decided to go to the range and just burn up the remnants of all those non-shooting loads.  Got a sub-3-inch group with the Ultramax 52's at 200 yards.  I might buy another box.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 02:16:36 PM »
 a year ago i bought 2 boxes of ultramax 55gr soft nose at a gun show to try in my rifle didnt try them untell about 3 monthes ago at a 100 yards shot 3 shoot group  2 holes where tuching and the other 1 just off them 1/4" i would have loved to sight my H&R223 to these but i only had to boxes and didnt know where to get any so i just sighted it in on the fed 50 gr JHP valuepack from wally world it likes them real well
1 shot 1 kill