Author Topic: Making your own Black Powder  (Read 1182 times)

Offline rsvkeith@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (0)
Making your own Black Powder
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:00:05 AM »
Has anyone here ever taken the next step in black powder and rolled your own so to speak? Using a ball mill, buying the 3 ingredients and putting them together to save money? I would love to hear from folks who have done it. It seems labor intensive with wetting your powder, pushing it thru a mess, spreading it out to dry for sevral days, etc.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Making your own Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:41:25 AM »
Start with Ulrich Bretscher's page History of Black Powder and others on his website, then search through the archives for a thread here about this subject.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
I think it was discussed here about 2-4 months ago.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »
Do a GBO web search for   more smoke from powder    By  Max Pearce  Dec 26,2006  It may come up on page 2 so don't forget to look at page 1  ;D     http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,107036.0.html

Offline missouricannonworks

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:19:49 PM »
We did it in High school, and the results seemed pretty... well uneventful although it did burn it had no where near the combustion rate of the manufactured brands.

Wow how times have changed can anyone imagine our kids  being allowed to do a project like that nowadays?

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 07:39:28 PM »
Make actual Black Powder at school in this age?  Not likely.  A kid will be in trouble for merely pointing an index finger like a pistol.  Have been asked by some at the local elementary school if I could come in dressed Rev War soldier for a show and tell time.  Told them it would be no problem, but I would require written permission from their school district as essential parts of the dress include musket and bayonet.  Needless to say, that letter never arrived.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
I knew a fellow in HS who made his own black-powder - filled the BATHTUB with all the chemicals and mixed it up.

Life IS different now-a-days.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:16:10 PM »
     Since moose 53 gave us a link to Will Bison's excellent, detailed explanation on the equipment and methods to make BP, I feel free to follow the example of others to tell a story or two.

My friends and I experimented feverishly in 6th grade until we developed a version of "pulverone" or the mechanically mixed ingredients known as "green" powder or "serpentine" powder.  No wetting, pressing, drying and subsequent "corning".  So, our BP was pretty tame, but it worked great in under water rockets we made with cardboard coat hanger tubes pinched and glued at one end.  Actually they were really under-ice torpedoes which worked very well under the thin, transparent ice of a recently frozen pond.

We also found that this powder was good for making Volcanoes!  My seventh grade teacher, a WWII vet who told us fascinating stories about "Fishing" in the Mediteranean with fragmentation grenades, let me bring one in when we were studying the formation of the Earth's crust.  I put extra sulphur in that one for a "lava flow" effect.  They had to clear two classrooms after that little caper!

I managed to clear another classroom in ninth grade with a little demo of the cannonfire possible with my version of the iron clad, Monitor.  Carefully made out of cut up tin cans, it's main fearture, of course was the tuna-can turret with two music-stand-pipe cannons poking out of dual ports.  Really tame flash powder using an aluminum and potassium dichromate mixture provided crowd pleasing twin billows of white smoke. 

Regards,

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »
Howdy All;

rsvkeith, if you have any questions, ask away.

Bill

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 07:02:34 PM »
Here's a thread on a different forum about someone who is currently making black powder.
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=31bf13de9f53db95a116b968bb051753;act=ST;f=101;t=17940
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline accuratemike

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.accuratepower.com
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 04:02:51 AM »
Make actual Black Powder at school in this age?  Not likely.  A kid will be in trouble for merely pointing an index finger like a pistol.  Have been asked by some at the local elementary school if I could come in dressed Rev War soldier for a show and tell time.  Told them it would be no problem, but I would require written permission from their school district as essential parts of the dress include musket and bayonet.  Needless to say, that letter never arrived.

I was Daniel Boone in about third grade. I carried my Father's original PA rifle as one of my props. I don't think my sons could get anywhere near the school with one today. Not to mention my Pop was nuts for letting a third grader carry a ~$7k rifle to school. It was also the first gun I took apart. :) MIKE