Author Topic: Ultra Vamint 223  (Read 377 times)

Offline jlgwiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra Vamint 223
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:03:42 PM »
 I bought an Ultra Varmint 223 about 6 week ago.  I get to shoot it about every other weekend when I go to my brother's in the country.  I have been following the tips found on this board and every outing it gets better.  Started with the Flitz and then the o-ring.  Next I ran a dollar bin under the forend and noticed that it stuck in the rear, near where the forend attached to the frame.  Sanded it until the dollar rode free under the barrel.  Last time out the  groups were down where I thought they should be.  I am still trying different types of ammo but it looks like the Rem 50gr hollow points are working the best.  Also being new to this shooting hobby (obsession) I think I am getting better also.  Have put probably 120 rounds through her. Oh yea,  I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 resting on top. Also last time out I setup two empty vitamin bottles (3.25" tall , 1.75" dia) on top of coffee cans at 100 yards, could see the bottles but not the cans. Took aim and shot. Bottle flew.  Took aim at the other. Fired.  Bottle still upright. Darn. Shot again. Bottle flew.  When I check the bottles one had two holes it,  so I had hit it afer all. The grass was tall. so I guess it flew off but landed upright.
  Now I am hooked.  Am thinking about sending it off for a 308 barrel.  Regular or Bull any advice? Any difference other than weight?  Also what do I have to do to get the trigger job when it is there?  Just send a note with it?

jlgwiz

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ultra Vamint 223
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:57:19 PM »
Just include the request for a trigger job to 3-3½lbs pull weight on the order form. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jlgwiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ultra Vamint 223
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »
  Thanks for the info.  Getting the trigger down to 3.5 to 4 lbs should help me maintain accuracy.  This rifle is just so much fun to shoot.  Hope to get after some coyotes and/or nutra with it soon.  Trying to decide what barrel(s) to add is fun in itself.

jlgwiz