Author Topic: Off to Bear Hunting!  (Read 435 times)

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Off to Bear Hunting!
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:27:13 AM »
Well, I'm off to go bear hunting this afternoon/evening.  Taking my Handi Whelen with me.  Montana is spot and stalk so no bait or hounds.  I hear the grizzlies have been out but the blacks are just waking up.  Honestly, I'll be lucky to see one, but I do get to see some beautiful scenery, scout my elk hunting grounds and maybe find a shed.  Spring bear around here is just a good excuse to get outside.  Wish me luck!

Matt
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Off to Bear Hunting!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »
Best of luck Matt, stay safe and have fun!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »
Good luck!!!!!!!!! I am not sure I would be taking a single shot into Grizzly country. I hope you are carrying a side arm.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »
What load are you useing?
Good luck!!
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »

Good Hunting Matt...let us know how you do..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 05:44:01 PM »
Have fun, and don't worry about the single shot.  That's all I carry and I live in Grizzly country.  I'm leaving Monday, after the rain quits.  Taking my .35 Whelen Handi also.  Hoping for a nice Black but won't turn down a Griz.  I'm looking for A BEAR period.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »
Have fun, and don't worry about the single shot.  That's all I carry and I live in Grizzly country.  I'm leaving Monday, after the rain quits.  Taking my .35 Whelen Handi also.  Hoping for a nice Black but won't turn down a Griz.  I'm looking for A BEAR period.
I had just noticed that you are from the North Pole Alaska. How cold is it there this time of year?
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
I'll be heading out next weekend, bears don't usually get real active 'til about Memorial Day. I'll be carrying my 45-70 Handi. Feels like summer down here in the low country, but there's still lots of snow in the hills
Matt, good luck. I know exactly what you mean about an excuse to get out in the woods for a springtime "hunt", it's been a long winter.

>>>===> Dave

Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 05:05:24 AM »
Good luck, guys.  Hope y'all tag out.  Already got my boar last fall.   But, of course, a boar in Florida is a pig, not a bear.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto