Author Topic: Trigger Improvement  (Read 577 times)

Offline seafox

• Trade Count: (0)
Trigger Improvement
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »
I,m doing a trigger job on my Handi-Rifle and I,m trying to decide if I should cut off the trigger return spring. How much will this help lighten the trigger pull ? How much should I cut off? Is this a good idea or should I just hone and smooth the parts as per Perrklo?

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Trigger Improvement
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »
i would just polish everything , by cutting the spring you could make it to light and the gun can go off anytime.the trigger will also get lighter the more you shoot.

bighemidaddy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »
I always cut one coil off the trigger spring, just go easy on the honing until you see how light it is, it's easy to go too far too quick.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »
I know the info is in the FAQ's but how long does it take to disassemble and re-assemble the handi for a trigger job?  My target model seems light till I'm at the bench. 
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:07:04 AM »
i did a trigger job on my H&R223 and my NEF243 the hardest part i think is driveing the pins out not doing the trigger work or driveing the pens back in
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 05:15:30 AM »
Instead of cutting the original spring, I cut down a stock hardware store spring.  A package of them was cheap and it gives me the ability to put it back to its original state if I need to.  I think most of the improvement came from polishing the tool marks off the trigger surfaces anyway.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 05:58:52 AM »
Handi, 30 minutes including fitting a heavy latch spring, but I've had lots of practice, you can plan on 1hr after you make the slave pin which can be a wood dowel, doesn't need to be metal. Having the use of the plexi template really makes removing the pins, without marring the frame, a breeze!! I use a fat brass punch to install the pins, but they're not stout enough to remove them, one small enough will bend, the pins are splined and tough to remove, specially the first time. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline seafox

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 11:03:45 AM »
I finished my trigger project.  It got to be pretty easy after taking the receiver apart and putting it back together the first dozen times. I did cut one coil off the trigger return spring. That and honing and polishing got the trigger pull crisp and much lighter.I don't have any way to measure the actual value but it passes all the safety tests at the end of the instructions. I'm anxious to get to the range and see if my groups have improved.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 11:17:43 AM »
OK, for some reason I'm real squeamish about doing it, but have done a lot to other rifles, so go figure. ::)
God, Family, and guns, in that order!