Author Topic: We almost lost our Web Master today.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
We almost lost our Web Master today.
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:12:24 PM »
Guys we came within minutes today of losing our webmaster and of course that would have in short order resulted in the lost of the site. Matt survived a house fire today that he figures came within ten minutes of taking his life.

Circumstances are still a bit sketchy to me but from our last conversation of it here is about what happened. Note that while these circumstances are "very strange" to say the least I'm not at least at this time trying to imply any outside intervention altho with all the other odd things happening to him of late it has to make one wonder.

He was alseep in bed alone today. Heather and the kids were gone. For some reason she got some odd premonition something was not right so she called his cell phone and kept dialing until she woke him. I know just how long that can take at times as the boy is one sound sleeper. When he woke and sat up in bed he realized his lungs seemed on fire and the house was filled with smoke from ceiling down to about bed high level.

His bedroom is in the lower level of the house and the bedroom itself is below ground level. The other end of that level does open to the outside but he had that door blocked temporarily with some water heaters for some reason unknown to me at this time. He knew his only way out was UP and so he managed to crawl down the hall and fight his way up the stairs to the front door of the house and got out wearing only his underwear he said.

After standing around outside awhile to get his breath back he went back inside to get some clothes on and see if he could determine the source of the smoke. At that time he had not seen flames only smoke. He made several trips in and out of the house and got his uncle over to help. They got doors and windows open eventually to let out the smoke and somewhat clear the house.

They traced the source of the smoke to the clothes dryer which Heather had used earlier that morning but says was left OFF when she left. When they opened the door of the dryer thick black smoke almost over came them both again as it totally filled the house. Matt had already unplugged it when he realized it was the source of the smoke and thought that had ended the fire their but it had not. His comment to me was that the dryer was a "crispy critter" as it was totally burned up in the fire that some how didn't spread to the house luckily.

Thru it all the smoke detector alarm never went off until they opened the dryer door even tho both stories of his house was filled with smoke.

From our last conversation he is OK except for a massive amount of smoke inhalation that had him coughing pretty badly. Hopefully no permanent damage to his health will result. The house is damaged a good deal from the smoke. It will require repainting and perhaps new carpets and he is unsure about their clothes as to whether the smoke smell (burning plastics) will ever come out of them or not. Of course a new dryer will be required as will new smoke detectors as he and I discussed.

It's good that Heather and the kids weren't there as he barely got himself out and told me he'd never have been able to have cleared them as well. The timing of her call to wake him was also extremely provident as had she been but a few minutes later in call or in waking him it likely would have been too late.

What would cause a clothes dryer that was not even running to catch fire? Who knows. Why would the smoke detector alarm not sound with the house totally filled with smoke only to go off later with all doors and windows open when the dryer door was opened? Lotsa unanswered questions at this point but at least he made it out and the house survived even if the dryer didn't. So tonight and tomorrow the clean up and investigation goes on.

His computer is acting strange as well he said and he is assuming electrical contact damage due to the smoke. Seems strange to me but then I'm no techie.

Just to let you guys know what happened as I know several of you have had a good deal of personal interaction with him.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: We almost lost our Web Master today.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »
I'm glad he is ok!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
SCARY!!! :o Thank God and Heather he's ok!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NONYA

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 06:35:54 PM »
Somebodys watchin over your boy Bill,I hope he understands how lucky he is.I have had a few close calls and theres nothing better in the world to make you realize how precious life is.I would have the local fire inspector take a look at the house,if there is any foul play they will notice it right away.I have seen a blocked exhaust vent filled with lint catch fire before.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 01:19:14 AM »
Thank Goodness he is alright. 

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 01:36:24 AM »
Alot of times a dryer vent will become plugged or a belt or motor wil burn up. starting a smoldering fire that will take a few minutes to get goiing, because its enclosed. then it will run out of oxygen & snuff it self out. Sounds like some new smoke detectors ar in order.
  Thank god for his wife.   
                    PS if your house is full of smoke, get out & call the fire department. leave doors & windows closed. Opening them will feed a smoldering fire & help it spread. I believe there
 are a few guys her that can help with the cleanup &  smoke smell              Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 03:19:38 AM »
Great news he made it out without much harm to his person.  It wasn't his time I guess.

My cousin went on vacation several years ago and upon his return found his house full of water.  The hose on the washing machine burst and ran for several days.

Washers and dryers sure seem to cause some significant problems at times.

While it caused Matt some problems, maybe we should celebrate the fact he still has better days ahead.

Praise god for another chance tomorrow.

This is why it's important to appreciate the present and never assume we have more than the moment.

He's a very fortunate man indeed!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 03:52:41 AM »
Dryer lint is extremely flamable.  I use it in my emergency kit for a fire starter.  One a year you must remove the Dryer vent hose and clean any lint that accumulates in it.  It can cause a house fire!!!!!   Dangerous to Life and your gun collection.........
Tomzuki

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 04:03:26 AM »
God was with him. Charlie.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 04:31:06 AM »
Thank God he made it out all right!!Inhaling smoke is what kills alot of people in house fires.Thank God Heater and the kids were away!I had a fire burn the roof off the outside woodburner this winter in the middle of the night.Scared the crap out of me!Can't even imagine being in a house fire.If Matt & Heather need anything,all they got to do is ask.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 04:54:10 AM »
No doubt in my mind that Heather saved Matt & God saved them all.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »
Like tomsuki said once a year clean out the dryer vent, also remove the back of the dryer and remove the lint from there.  Just open it up and get a shock as to how much lint is in there.  Great place for a fire.  And being in a confined space it will catch and smolder for hours before getting out to where it can get air.  Then once it has air look out.  In 35 years doing emergency calls in military housing, I have seen many houses burn where it was traced back to the dryer.  The occupants had not used the dryer in hours when the fire broke out.  The fire had been quitely sitting in the dryer vent smoldering till it finally reached air.  Hours after the dryer had been used, and in most cases the family was gone.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 10:22:01 AM »
Glad to hear he is ok if you think it was something suspicious as the fire dept to investigate the cause.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »
Don't know what else to say but GOD was looking after the boy for sure , everything in a house can be replaced but a life .

Richard
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
Very glad to hear it wasn't worse!  Makes one realize how precious life is. 
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Brett

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
Pretty scary stuff.  Glad things weren't any worse.  With all the stuff going on as of late, Matt, has the thought crossed your mind that The Creator may be trying to get your attention?   Only reason I ask is that if I was experiencing the things you have been this year I would be asking myself (or better yet Him ) that question.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 03:46:58 PM »
Wow, what a story. It really could have turned out way worse. Even though I don't know Matt personally, being a husband and parent myself I felt a great deal of relief when you said his wife and kids weren't there.

The house and possessions can all be replaced.

Hug your family members often as you never know what is in the future.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 11:58:25 PM »
First let me say thanks for all the kind words. I am truly lucky to be here for sure and do not take that fact for granted nor have I ever. Many times I have kissed the hand of death and lived to tell about it but never have I been scared until this one. Had it not been for the fact I spent 5+ years as a Fire Fighter I most likely would not have been able to get out. I used my training and did not let myself panic. If you have ever been in a house fire where all rooms are completely filled with smoke you know what I mean. Day becomes night and the smoke will burn your eyes really bad. Combine that with a burning in your chest and you can quickly panic and get lost in your own home that you think you know well.

I do not think that any foul play was involved. I have looked over everything very close and feel that I know what happen to cause the fire. Heather had asked me to put one of the boys tee ball uniforms in the dryer before I went to bed but I forgot to. She noticed this when she got up for work and tossed it in the dryer with some of hers that had dried the night before. She says that when she got the uniform out of the dryer she left the door open and dryer off. I think that because this had put her in a hurry she out of habit grabbed the uniform closed the door and turned the dryer back on because the dryer was at the end of the cycle. I think the fact that the cloths were dry in the dryer and maybe a clogged lint trap too much heat built up and thus the fire. Everything inside was ash and the dryer itself has basketball sized hotspots on both sides. The control panel had started to melt and the cloths from on top of the dryer are melted and scorched. I think it had been going for several hours based on the amount of smoke in the house and the damage to the washer and wall both about 8 to 10 inches from the sides of the dryer. The paint on the washer is blistered as well as the paint on the wall.

Based on my knowledge of fires and smoke inhalation I figure I had about another 10 minutes before I would have succumbed to the smoke and went into a coma like state. The strange thing is that I remember I had started into a very strange dream where I was looking for the source of a strange smell. My Nextel was on the headboard but the 2way was on private and the ringer was on silent as I did not want to be woken up until the alarm went off at noon(did not get in bed till 6am). Heather not knowing my 2way was on private was beeping me over and over yelling into the phone because she had a strange feeling that something was wrong. Then when I would not answer she really began worrying as I always answer within a few minutes no matter how long I have been asleep. Amazingly enough I was able to hear her when she started singing the alphabet song over the 2way at the top of her lungs (I can only imagine the looks she must have gotten from people). At first I grabbed my phone flipped it open keyed her up and said go ahead (Nextel’ers know what I am talking about), then I realized the house was full of smoke since by then my lungs were full of smoke. I dove into the floor and stopped for a second to get my composer and see what I needed to do and what I could do. It was overcast but enough light was getting through the smoke for me to make out the hallway and stairs. I crawled out into the hallway and done my best to get a deep breath of clean air and preceded up the steps to the front door. It has a child safety latch on it which is at the top of the door so I had to stand up to unlatch it. This was tough because even with my eyes closed they were burning and I was running out air and needed to take a breath. I managed to get the door open and get out.

The one thing that I had noticed was that there was no heat and only smoke which had an electronics fire smell to it. I have seven computers in my office and my first though was that a surge protector or UPS had overloaded and a computer was smoking up everything. So after getting some fresh air I decided to make a quick run through of the upstairs to try and determine the source of the smoke and see if I needed the fire department or not seeing as they are well known for causing more damage than the fire. I ran back in and up the stairs, by this time the smoke in the entryway was thin enough for me to see a shirt that one of the boys must have dropped and I grabbed it to use as a makeshift filter to help me breath. I ran through the living room and then up the hall to my office but by this time I needed fresh air so I ran out the kitchen to the back of the house. While I was getting a fresh breath of air I looked in and could see that the smoke was not coming from my office but rather back up the hall. So after a minute or so I went back in to find the cause and by this time even more smoke had cleared and I could see well enough to not get lost so I went down the hall and noticed the smoke was coming from the laundry room. I felt of the door and it was warm but not hot. It has about a ½ inch gap at the bottom so I knew there was not really an issue seeing as the smoke was rolling out not in. So I opened the door and could see smoke coming from the back of the dryer I went to grab it to move it but it was to hot so I kicked it around so I could get to the plug then unplugged it. I grabbed some cloths along the way as this whole time I was in my boxers. So now I feel that I have isolated the problem and now need to get the smoke out in order to get the dryer out of the house. I call Heather and tell her I am ok and the house will still be there when she gets home.

I then call an uncle to come help me get the dryer out of the house. Well by the time he arrives I have been able to go back in several times and open windows and doors to try and clear the smoke. Well all of this time I am thinking that this was an electrical fire in the dryer and I had stopped it. What I did not know was that it was an inferno inside the dryer and all it needed was a little bit of air. Well when Jimmy arrived we went back into the house and cleared the cloths off the top of the dryer at which time we noticed that it was still smoking. We ran back out side to get a fresh breath he asked me if there were any cloths in the dryer and I told him I did not think so as I was supposed to put them in it last night and did not. So we went back in at which time he opened the dryer and all hell broke loose. The room instantly filled with a thick black smoke that I knew would be deadly I grabbed his arm but he pulled away from me and headed to the window, I knew this was not a good idea but could not hold my breath any longer and knew I could get back in if I had to. Well after knocking out the screen he realized he was on the second floor and also that he could not get out the window far enough to get clean air. So he did the best he could and pulled himself back inside and ran to the back door. As he passed by the laundry room he saw that the dryer was in full blaze, he was able to kick the door closed and run out to where I was. He told me that the laundry room was on fire so we both grabbed a hose pipe and headed in luckily there was no fire so we went back out. I stepped back far enough to see if there was any smoke coming out of the ridge vent and did not see any.

We then decided to go back in and put the hoses into the dryer to put out the fire. We went in and sprayed it down so it was cool enough to open the door then stuck both hoses inside. It only took a few seconds for the fire to go out and then we ran back out. By this time I was over come by the smoke and it was real bad the whole house was full of the thick black smoke. My neighbor behind me seen the smoke and grabbed a fire extinguisher and came running. He ran in but came right back out rather quickly and said we had indeed gotten the fire out. After about 15 minutes we went back in and carried the dryer outside. Everyone who went in managed to get out safe and the house was saved.

Now I acted in a manner that I would never recommend anyone repeat. What I did was unsafe and went against all of my training as a Fire Fighter, I had no SCBA no turnout gear no hand line and no backup. I never should have gone into the house once I managed to get out. My chief had a saying that he would tell us every time we went on a call “It’s not your emergency; you are there to help, so don’t do anything stupid and make it your emergency”. Well I did do something stupid but at the same time it was my emergency in my mind so I had to do what I could to save my house and my livelihood remember I work from home. But all the same please do not do the same as I did be smart get out and call 911.

I will say that there were so many factors in play that saved my life that coincidence is nil in my mind. Someone said I may want to think about getting right, well I tend to think I must be close to right with someone otherwise I would not be here. As I said I have kissed the hand of death many times but as I think about it more this time I think I got some tongue.

Folks I don’t know how many of you have ever been in true fear for your life but man... It’s not a feeling that you can quickly forget. I have done many stupid things that have almost ended my life but this time I really thought I was going to die and by all logic should have. So as to a spiritual level I know I have to have someone looking out for me or I would not be here. I am also truly grateful and thankful for them.

The house truly is a mess, the entire inside will need to be painted, and all carpet replaced plus most likely all cloths from the laundry room are lost. I managed to get my main computer back online but all optical drives in every computer are lost. The chemicals in the smoke caused the partials in the air to bond to everything plastic that was upstairs to include my favorite mouse :( After seeing the damage from the smoke to all of the household items I really hate to know what it did to my lungs even though I was breathing through a cloth. I know I took in way to much smoke as even my sweat smells like it now. But like I have told everyone else I am just thankful I am able to clean up the mess.

Still not sure of the total damage cost but would guess if I do most of the work myself I can keep it to only materials. Being a “Jack of All Trades” I am sure I can do it just not as quick as the pros but that’s ok. And for those that asked if they could help… yeah feed me every possible way you know of or have heard of that might work to help me get rid of this awful smell...!!!

Thanks
Matt

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 12:24:53 AM »
Wow Matt,  that's an experience to remember!! Sure glad it turned out the way it did, that's too close!! :o

Here's some links that may help.

Tim

http://www.winsol.com/smoke.htm

http://disaster.ifas.ufl.edu/PDFS/CHAP13/D13-17.PDF

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf828308.tip.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 02:15:23 AM »
 It may not be much but i`m glad your ok. 
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline a1huntingsupply

• GBO Sponsor
    • A-1 Hunting and Shooting Supply
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 02:43:22 AM »
Glad to hear you made it out Matt.

We should all learn from this and check our smoke detectors and talk to our families about what we would do in a situation like Matts. Hope things take a turn for the better Matt.

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 04:30:10 AM »
Glad you and the Family are OK Matt.  I'm sure it was a little scary for Graybeard, too.  Hope you all make a quick recovery.  It's no fun cleaning up that smoke and soot.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline wncchester

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 05:55:10 AM »
Thank the Lord for his providential care!   Hope your insurance company does you right.

One potential cause is mice.  They LOVE to chew on some types of wire insulation, leading to house and appliance fires.  I recently had a breaker popping off in my garage, found the line but couldn't get to it so I simply disconnected that branch and went on.  Some months later,  while repairing and replacing the roof, I found a 7 ft section of Romex in attic that had been stripped, I replaced that an all is well.  Have chewed off insulation gone in old washers and dryers too.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
Matt,

Buddy I am glad your OK, if the coughing keeps up go see a doc, they can be a pain in the backside, but if you need them go.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
Matt, and all other Nextel users.

The "Alert" feature of the Nextel will beep very loudly even if the "private speaker" thing is set to "On"

If heather had used the Alert, maybe she wouldn't have had to sing the alphabet in public...:D

Hopefully there won't be a next time, but maybe this will help others, in the future.

Glad you are OK,

Larry
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi