Author Topic: Hand loads for .270  (Read 276 times)

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
Hand loads for .270
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:45:10 AM »
Okay fellas, I need to pick yer brains.

A friend and I are going on a Caribou hunt this fall, and I just found out that he no longer has a high powered rifle. I don't want to see him take a chance with a once in a lifetime hunt, with just a i5 year old muzzle loader.
  Therefore, I am going to give him my .270 Handi as an early birthday gift.
   I have been trying to work up a good hand load for it, and was wondering if you guys might share some of your favorite loads? Powders? Bullet heights? What type of accuracy should I expect with this gun?  All my others shoot well, but this is the first time to play with the .270.
Or is there a good factory that you like??
Any help will be a great help.

Thanks
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Hand loads for .270
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:01:25 AM »
The Nosler 150gr Partition shoots pretty good in the 270 Ultracomp I'm working with using IMR7828, working on IMR4350 next, just need another range visit, but turkey season and rain has been slowing me down on range trips!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hand loads for .270
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:18:30 AM »
i'd recommend a Hornady bullet of either 130 or 140 gr's in a Spire Point configuration to start.   i'd use a Win' primer and  H-4831SC as my starting powder unless working with some IMR 4350 that i already had at home.    i prefer Rem' brass, but others prefer Win'.   i prefer the Rem' because usually it is heavier.   

i'd adjust the cartridge-overall-length (bullet seating depth) when starting out on a load to see if it can be improved with my first choice of components before buying other, different components.   bullet seating depth is a very important parameter when chasing accuracy.

the .270 will get it done with a good bullet like the Hornady spire point.

take care and let us know,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.