Author Topic: Lube buildup  (Read 849 times)

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Lube buildup
« on: May 27, 2003, 11:32:23 AM »
I am starting to shoot some of the home cast bullet loads I worked up last winter for my various guns. Initially I thought I was fighting lead buildup dispite the fact that the loads were around 1000 FPS. I finally realized that it was not lead but lube left in the barrel as it would easily wipe out with a nylon brush. Is this type of buildup normal? I'm using WW and lyman moly lube.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Shootingamigo

• Trade Count: (0)
Lube
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 01:31:01 PM »
My 2 cents worth here. The buildup is normal for moly lube. Messy stuff but a worthwhile lube anyhow.

Offline Questor

Lube buildup
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 03:25:30 AM »
I haven't experienced much lube buildup with Lyman moly lube in 44 magnums loaded to 1000fps.  I don't like the idea of buildup of any kind in my bores.  Is this just mild streaking or is it really thick?  If it's just streaking, I think the lube is doing its job.
Safety first

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
Lube buildup
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 05:12:45 AM »
Streaking would probably be a better word for it. A couple of strokes with a nylon brush and its gone. I just wasn't sure if this was normal because I've just recently begun casting my own. Previously the commercial cast bullets I used leaded pretty bad. I suspect due to too hard a lube and possibly the beveled base.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
Lube buildup
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 03:11:00 AM »
I have found cooercial lubes to be way too hard that is why we developed  OFW. Light streaking is fine. I actually  melt mine onto patches so I can use it as a bore precoat.
lead bullets done right

Offline Bug

• Contributor
Moly Lube Qs?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 03:13:05 AM »
For those of you using a moly-based lube:
1. Does this stuff coat the bore like the various moly treatments/bullet coatings, like Ms. Moly?
2. Is the residue hard to remove? And do you use special moly solvents to clean?
3. Are you worried about the supposed moisture-attracting qualities of moly causing rust?
 I have been thinking about brewing up a batch of beeswax/molygrease based lube, but have been hesitant because of the corrosion-causing properties of moly. Do you think the grease and beeswax would negate this worry?>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bug.
It's The Little Things That Matter.

Offline hubbard

Lube buildup
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 04:18:55 AM »
been using home made moly lube for a couple of years and never noticed any kind of buildup  that wouldn't wipe out with a dry patch and never noticed any kind of rust.