Author Topic: First Serious Outing  (Read 633 times)

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
First Serious Outing
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Well today I took my new .223 bull barrel out for the first serious load development session. Six different loads using the same case and 50 grain Hornady bullet.  Tried 2 different weights of three kinds of powder, IMR 4198, IMR 4895, and BLC-2. 

Best five shot groups at 100 yards were 27.5 grains of BLC-2 and 26.5 grains of IMR 4895.  Both loads shot .875 inch groups with 4 of the five shots in .625 inch.  (I usually shoot 5 shot groups but always measure the 4 best shots of the group as well)

Think I've got a good start, now to get a neck trimmer and weigh the cases.  I think this rifle has the potential to become a real honest to goodness 1/2 minute rifle.

Roudy

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: First Serious Outing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:52:34 PM »
Try a batch with 25.0gr 4895 and see how that shoots.

I get a much better grouping with that load than anything else in my Sako .223.

But, the best I've found are the same charge with 40gr V max.  One holers, all day long too.
Ten shots= .260".

I've been told my two others to try AA2230 sometime.  Would have to buy more powder to try that. But, I was getting tite hole's with the discontinued AA2200 before running four jugs of it out.

Just some other ideas that have worked for me.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: First Serious Outing
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:45:39 AM »
George,
  What rate of twist does your Sako have?  I considered trying the 40 grain bullets but decided to use 50 grain to start with because my barrel has a 1-9 twist as opposed to 1-12.  I know that the twist rate is not exactly difinitive about which bullets will shoot best in any rifle since all rifles are basically unique.  If your rate of twist is 1-9 I will certainly give the 40 grain bullets a try.

Roudy