Author Topic: 44 mag in model 94 hates cast bullets Why?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Billy Marr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
44 mag in model 94 hates cast bullets Why?
« on: November 26, 2002, 08:49:04 AM »
What are you sizing them to? Allso is it a micro grove if so it will be hard to get accuracy from them. Try sizing the at .430-.431. And super hard.
lead bullets done right

Offline Aladin

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 09:56:30 AM »
Quote from: Billy Marr
What are you sizing them to? Allso is it a micro grove if so it will be hard to get accuracy from them. Try sizing the at .430-.431. And super hard.

Billy why would a micro groove be hard to get good groups with?
Aladin

"that's my story and I'm stick'n to it"

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
cast in 44mag
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 09:56:42 AM »
are you cleaning the gun between cast and jacketed loads?ARE THE CAST SLUGS GAS CHECKED.Try a harder mix,ww&lino, to see if that helps.Also look carefully at the crown of the gun for any damage there.
  How do the slugs fit the throat and bore of your gun? this is a big culprit to bad accuracy.You may have to adjust your seater die so the bullet fits better.  jh :D

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 11:22:07 AM »
I have a 44 mag Rossi that I shoot Cowboy silhouette with.  I started my load development with a 200 gr cast bullet and even though I got an extreme spread with all loads of about 20fps, I just couldn't get it to group under 4 feet at 100 meters.  I tried jacketed bullets and groups shrunk to about 2inches at 100 meters on the first try.  I then went to putting a gas check on a cast 240grSWC bullet and it has shot great ever since.  

Sixgun:)
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
I'm working with two .44 molds...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 04:39:55 PM »
The first is the LEE Tumble Lube mold.  No sizing and liquid alox for lube and away you go.  I use water quenched Wheel Weights and end up with a nice HARD bullet.

The second is a Lyman Keith style mold.  I haven't had a chance to run any through this one yet, but it is a 'proven' design for most .44's.

Good luck!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"