Author Topic: Fair Value for a pre 64 Model 94 30-30 ?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Kyandric

• Trade Count: (0)
Fair Value for a pre 64 Model 94 30-30 ?
« on: October 12, 2006, 12:06:10 PM »
 ??? ??? I purchased a 7MM to hunt elk behind my house in Colorado. I had another rifle to hunt deer and I have had a win 94 since my father bought it in 1957 and and gave it to me in 1968 when he stopped hunting. It has not been fired since 1970. Now the question. A friend of mine saw the gun and wants to buy it. He says its probably in 90% or better condition. I need some input into what to accept. I could look at buying guides but would rather ask here. Before the current closing of  Winchester , I thought it would be worth around 300 dollars. Now I don't know.Would it be better to just keep it? The prices I have seen on the auction sites are ,in my opinion, crazy.  Any good advice would be appreciated.       "Ric" of Kyandric(Ky is the better half ;)

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
Re: Fair Value for a pre 64 Model 94 30-30 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:40:23 PM »
Like you, I'm not sure what a Pre'64 Model 94 Winchester is worth these days. It obviously depends on a number of factors. I have two which are quite similar to the one you have and would not sell either one for $500. They may not bring that kind of price...no matter. They are NFS. I would seriously NOT selling the rifle that ypur father gave you. If you do, for any price, you will likely regret the sale down the road. That gun should be treasured, not for it's market value, but because of the relationship that it represents. Just my .02 worth.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »
I'll second the notion.  KEEP THE GUN.  It doesn't eat anything, what can it hurt?  Someday you can pass it down to a son, daughter, nephew, neice and tell them stories about grandpa.  The memories that live in that gun are priceless.

I have a 94 and it's not for sale either.  My grandfather passed it down to me.  I wish I knew half of it's tales.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline Kyandric

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:08:19 AM »
Thx for the thoughts. I already have one gun that I could not bear to sell. I have a 1864 Spencer that my great great uncle carried in the Civil War. He was in the Indiana Calvary and brought it home from the war. It has been in the family since then. The 30-30 just does not have the emotional attachments to it that other guns have.    Ric

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 05:41:00 AM »
Has the price increased on the pre 64 model 94s?  In fact it has been years (42 to be specific) since they were made.  A dealer told me a while ago that when the shutdown of Winchester was made public the current production at that time was selling for more than the pre 64s.  Didn't make much sense to me...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 11:15:45 AM »
Post war, pre 64, 94's are a hard market to judge.  Most sell in this area for $350 + or - $25.  Once in awhile you catch em as low as $250 and as high as $500.  The $500 ones seem to sit for a long time. 

Offline Keith L

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 12:10:06 PM »
The odd thing is I got more than that ($500) for an angle eject 30-30 nib that I traded for and refused to shoot once I saw how it was put together. I sold it at the peak of collectoritus after the factory closed.

I need to get me a pre 64 and try that.  I did like the way it felt in my hands, just not the way the action and trigger felt. 

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »
I've got a Pre-64 M94 that was passed down to my grandfather.  There is no way I would sell it.  It's at the gunsmith now being refinished - the wood was in rough condition, definitely didn't want it to end up absorbing moisture and cracking.  Could probably fetch $450-500 for it, but that gun has so many deer under it's belt from my grandfather that I (and him) couldn't stand to sell it.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline hillbill

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »
boys i went to the big show in tulsa a couple weeks ago and was stunned by the prices i noticed on just ordinary 30-30 lever actions. seems like bout any nice piece regardless of how common it was, was going for around 300$ or more.my buddy got a nice marlin for 280$ and it was about the cheapest one we saw in that good of condition.mind you, these were the same guns i saw at the same show last fall going for 175$ to 225$if i had a pre 64 i believe i would have to ask closer to 400$ to 500$. very likely in 10 yrs that gun will bring 600$ to 750$

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 05:57:15 AM »
I have never sold a gun in my life.  I only buy or inherit guns.  If I were to sell a gun, it would almost certainly be to take the money to buy some other gun.  In the case of your .30-30, as others point out, there are special sentimental associations with the gun that should keep you from selling it.  Additionally, isn't it arguable that everyone ought to have a lever action deer rifle in their gun cabinet?  Keep the gun.

Offline rihmfire

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:38:59 AM »
I dont think i could sell a gun my dad gave me...
I have couple guns that were owned by my grandfather
and my great uncle...one is from 1871 remington, 38 rimfire,
and the other is a pre 64 model 94 30-30....they are memories
for me....As for the value...I have seen them go from less than 300 to
over a thousand... pending on the configuration and condition..
Post a picture or go to gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and it should
give you a good idea of what its worth.

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:48:12 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised to see prices reach the 1k mark in the next few years as people continue to drool, and the others continue to hold on to their guns.
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:58:28 AM »

Keep it if you can...It will be worth far more to your kids & grandchildern than to you...and would make a fine hierloom to pass down...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline ggeilman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 04:43:42 AM »
Local gun shop price for a pre 64 is 699.99 and that is 85%. Winchester prices went up over the summer here quite a bit. They are getting extremely hard to find locally. Bass Pro shop was selling base model legasy's a month ago for their store opener for 649.99 and they were going out the door like hot cakes, 2 and 4 at a time. They were AE's and not well built AFAIC.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »
KEEP IT!!, if it has not much of a sentimental attachment for you, even though it was your father's and he gave it to you ( ???), please think of your children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. For a few hundred lousy bucks do not deprive them of it. I have a similar pre 64 Model 94 and I believe it is worth about $700-$800. I however will not be selling mine, it is an american icon and will be going to the grandchildren....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »
I don't believe any post war pre 64 carbine will sell for over $400. There were simply too many made. If it were a rifle or takedown that would be different. But for a standard carbine I believe $350.00 would be fair to both parties.

I might also mention that Kyandric did not ask for advise on if he should sell. Sounds like he dosen't want the gun, and he has said it has no special value to him. I believe we should respect his views.  ;D Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 01:53:44 AM »
Prices in the local shops here run betwixt $329 and $399 for used Winchester levers in 30-30, including those made before 1964. 

Keep yours.  It is a family heirloom handed down to you by yor father.  It is not the Spencer Carbine your great-granddaddy carried in the war, but it is a family piece.  If your friend absolutely wants one then let him buy one from a shop - he will probably pay the same price, give or take a few bucks, but you will still have your 30-30 and when the day comes that you want to shoot 30-30, it will still be there for you.

BTW - a friend of mine lives outside Boulder and a couple of years ago stepped out his back door with his 30-30 and took a large cow-Elk with one shot.  Mikey.

Offline Jack Gilbert

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »
About 3 years ago I traded a Smith and Wesson 22-A and $190 for a pre-64 made in 1952 with the Williams receiver sight and real clean, some scratches on the wood and a little damage to the bluing on the sides, otherwise real fine. Don't know what the % would be, but the rifle was stiff as a board and needed to be lubed. Real tight and not shot much, obviously. Must have been in a damp environment as it looks like some surface rust on the flats. I think I did OK. The Smith had a broken rear breech hook,  they tended to shear after a while. Yeah, I'm evil. The pawn shop owner didn't check for that. As I said, I made out all right.

Offline wncchester

QUESTION ON the PRE- '64 Mod. 94 rifles
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 03:05:19 AM »
I know Winchester changed the manufacturing of the Mod. 70 and several shotguns in 1964.   

BUT did they actually change anything on the Mod. 94 at that time?

I was half watching back then, only cared about bolt rifles at the time, but don't remember hearing anything about the 94s changing at all.  I do know they did change - angle eject, etc. -  but it seems that it was more of an staged eveloution rather than an instantanous reveloution.  If so, the '64 date is mostly in the minds of the public concerning the 94s. 

Of course, that year had no effect on any maker other than Win., not that that's bad IF you own a pre '64 of any type and want to sell it to someone who thinks it was a magic year!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Keith L

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 03:26:38 AM »
There were major changes in both materials and manufacturing methods that didn't improve the Model 94 that took place in 1964.  Some of them were rectified prior to the end of the run, so by the time production on the 94 was stopped it was largely back to the quality of before.  I felt it still lacked the fit and finish of the older guns, but then again wat doesn't?

I looked at a bunch of pre 64 Model 94s yesterday at a gun show and found they were marked between $300-600.  30-30s were the most common and lowest price.  One day one of them will follow me home.

Offline Jack Gilbert

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 06:53:02 AM »
In response to the question of what was changed on the model 94s after 1964, I remember that when I was still in high school we went to Spokane. At this time the Crescent sporting goods store still sold firearms, and they had a new model 94 in stock. The thing that stuck out was that the cartridge follower was a piece of stamped steel, no curve to it, just flat, unlike the machined steel found in the older rifles. Even though I was a teenager then the difference really jumped out at me. There were other changes, too, but that's the one that really stood out, as I had a pre-64 at home and was curious to see what new ones looked like.

Jack

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
Have you lost your mind, never sell a rifle that your father bought for you. First you will regret it after you sell it and besides you can never replace it. KEEP IT
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.