Author Topic: Williams WGRS peep sight on 45-70 Handi's Anyone ?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline nebrguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Williams WGRS peep sight on 45-70 Handi's Anyone ?
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:36:50 AM »
I have a couple of questions I'd really appreciate getting feedback on in regards to the possibilty of me installing a Williams WGRS peep sight to my 45-70 Handi rifle.   I presume the factory rear sight must be removed.  Much difficulty here or any tips ?   Also,  would the factory front sight work with this peep rear in me being able to zero my  405 gr. trapdoor level loads with it or have you found you need a different front sight height ?   Many thanks for all your help.     

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Williams WGRS peep sight on 45-70 Handi's Anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:41:13 AM »
Dunno about the factory sight, H&R has used several different sights, I don't care for the plain blade, I use the WGRS with a Firesight up front, works very well. See the Peep and Firesights link in the FAQs. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »
 The blade that came with my 45-70 was too low to use with the receiver sight, so I bought a firesight. At the time I wasn't aware that H&R had three heights available. I've got the tall standard sight blade on my rifle now and I'm very happy with it, cost about $3.85. I had a lot of trouble shooting good groups with the firesight, that big red ball just covered too much of the target. If you're going to order the WGRS from H&R ask them to include a medium and high front sight blade, it's worth a try.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:15:28 AM »
I have a Williams "recerver"sight on my 500 magnum.  I cannot tell you the model, but it is not the type NEF supplies with the cowboy style 45-70, but rather the larger one.  I have target knobs on mine.  This particular one extends out past the breech end of the barrel about 1/2 inch when installed.  Since my 500 is an extractor (as all 500's would be) the sight is in the way a bit when loading and particularly unloading.  Not a big deal, but it is the case nonetheless.  Next time I will go with the small sight which NEF uses on the cowboy rifles.  I kept the standard firesight on the front that came with the rifle as it works just fine.  The standard rear sight was easy to remove, just two screws.  I then used the two tap screws I removed to mount the Williams sight and put them in the empty holes left by the standard sight.  There is a bit of epoxy or some material on the barrel that was under the original sight, but I have left it in place rather than scrape it off. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
That would be the Williams FP Target sight, it's available from H&R for $60, part #.R03193. The residue under the rear sight is thread locker from use on the mount screws.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,64605.msg391505.html#msg391505
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain