Author Topic: Spent the day shooting with the kids  (Read 372 times)

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Spent the day shooting with the kids
« on: May 19, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »
Had a blast, each of us selected two guns to take shooting. Emilee took her Mossberg .22 Plinkster and a Berreta .380, Andrew took his H&R .30-30 and .45-70 Buffalo Classic. I took the .38-55 Target and a .357 Handi . The .38-55 shot lousy with the 255 gr Winchester factory load and was promptly put away. The .357 did well and ran out of ammo. The .30-30 was smack on and also ran out of ammo. These peep sights are awesome. It was quite fun to outshoot the guys with the scoped rifles while using iron sights.  They didn't say much, but had their spotting scopes trained on the kid's targets. When 110 lb. Emillee was shooting the BC it proved too much for one guy, who had to wander over and ask "What the heck are you guys shooting?". The kids will be taking off for school again shortly, but we sure had fun. Killed a lot of paper today.  ;D
Don

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Spent the day shooting with the kids
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »
Good for you and the kids. You made some memories today that you and your kids and the other shooter will never forget. ;D ;D ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
Nice!! :)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »
 ;D ;D
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline jsoukup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 05:14:28 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time and it sounds like you are a great Dad.

A couple of months ago I went to a range and saw a father in a Marine Corps sweatshirt literally march his kids into the range. Each kid has his or her own special custom rifle (even a chipmunk with a pink stock). The mom was last in the march carrying her own rifle. Each had their own color-coded ammo can, muffs and glasses.

At first I thought it was neat, but then I watched how the dad treated his kids and I lost a lot of respect for him. One of the kids folded his target and his dad told him he was "stupid" for doing it. Then he got frustrated that he needed a cleaning rod and one of the little girls had to use the bathroom.

It just seemed for as hard as he was trying, he was ruining the whole experience. I understand learning and discipline (we spank in my home), but you've got to realize kids screw up, that's part of learning. And if they're not having fun, they're not going to appreciate it anyway, and not want to do it any more.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »
Bang
I bet those factory 255's are sized .375, if so I'm not surprised they don't shoot well.  Try loading up some with .379 cast.  They shoot real well in mine.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!