Author Topic: ram rod  (Read 767 times)

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ram rod
« on: May 15, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »
Does anyone know the diameter of the OEM CVA rod that comes with the Optima? I ordered a super rod from Cains Outdoors which works great. The diameter of the rod barely fits in a 50 cal barrel without beating up the rifling. Once you get used to how flexible it is (graphite), it is one heck of a range rod.

You can order smaller diameters and then cut them to length for the field. I want to make sure I order it small enough to get into the stock.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: ram rod
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:12:05 PM »

My Elite is .370" on the rod itself...You can call CVA C/S and I am sure that they can verify what your Optima's is..1-770-449-4687...or you can e-mail them as well...info@cva.com

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »
Mac, I emailed Mark and he indicated the diameter was the same. So I assume he means for all the models. That son of a gun is sending me an upgraded replacement. I told him to send me an invoice with it; for it was my fault the original broke. I had it extended and thats a no no. Don't know if the new ones are solid steel or fiber. What a company!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:10:46 AM »

Good Deal...I'm glad they helped you out......they are some fine people ...and are a darn good company...
The O.E.M. I have for my Elite is aluminum.. It's a good rod...but..not the strongest by no means..which is why I got a real good heavy duty range rod to use for most of the time..

Mac

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:11:09 AM »
The replacement Mark is sending will be used strictly in the field. The super rod I purchased from Cain's is really for range purposes. Heck the rod is darn near the size of the barrel. It is fiber which has a lot of flex in it. Once you get the flex under control it makes the job a lot easier.

Haven't seen any pics lately.....you get tired of shooting?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 06:37:54 AM »
Haven't seen any pics lately.....you get tired of shooting?

Nope...no time...Too many other things going on..Lord willing & if the creek don't rise... before Sunday...

Mac