Author Topic: Concealed Carry?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
Concealed Carry?
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »
Have a question for you folks. It's summer time and clothing is thin and sparse. I usually carry a 36 S&W in a Bianchi Minimist holster and also am a T-shirt fan. I usually wear dark shirts and don't tuck them in so they fall over the handgun. It tucks pretty tight to the body, but at time due to body movement, a bulge will appear. Now my question. What if some individual sees that bulge and reports it to thy authorities? What are the implications if that should happen? I do have a carry permit.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Concealed Carry?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
I would think worst case is you would have to show your credentials to the nice officer. I could see how someone might freak out though. Maybe that's just me as I live in one of the last two states that don't allow conceal carry and people here are not used to seeing someone with a pistol. Five years ago I could never see me living in Indiana but it's looking better every election year.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline 454Puma

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »
 Don't worry about it most people will never even notice::)
One shot , One Kill

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »
Brandishing can be serious--in Texas, real serious. This is considered brandishing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 03:57:41 AM »
Check with YOUR state in reguards to that, here in Arkansas as long as you have done a decent job of covering it up never a issue, BTW almost everyone has a cell phone, I-POD and so forth that create almost as large a bulge, but check with your state regulations to be sure.  JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »
Even in neu yawk, where most feel they have the right to squawk, few speak about the 'bulge' they might see.  Actually, unless a LEO sees the gun 'print' and commences to ask, nobody bothers you. 

In NY, nobody but an identified LEO (badge and ID card) has the right to even question you, especially people like unarmed mall security.  If a citizen wants to know, you can tell them to call a cop.  You don't have to be rude (although sometimes you really want to) but you can inform them that unless they have the authority to question you they should stop bothering you.  If they continue it constitutes harrassment and you can have them arrested, period. 

I believe that in NY, the term 'brandishing' means 'in your hand in full view (of the victim and others) and pointed menacingly with the intent to frighten or harm'.  If there aren't any witnesses to 'someone running around brandishing a gun' the cops don't usually take the threat seriously.

The cops are usually pretty good about it and when they have checked you out, if it even goes that far, it puts the citizen on the legal defensive to face possible charges. 

If you are legal, then you are legal but it sort of goes on to be 'if ya got it, don't flaunt it' because that is what 'concealed carry' means - nobody but you knows you have it.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:00:38 AM »
When carrying we can tend to get paranoid about someone being able to tell if we are carrying. In reality, unless you are a super model, nobody gives a hoot about you or what you are wearing.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:43:25 AM »
I got my carry permit only because I like to carry a handgun while fishing, hiking or hunting with rifle or shotgun and a shoulder rig under my coat is the most comfortable and practical carry I've found for a large revolver. I don't carry as an every day thing. The DOW then decided that anyone could carry concealed while hunting or fishing, no permit required, so we now have a weird situation where that is OK with the game warden but maybe not with a county mountie. As Colorado law now stands, anyone can carry openly,or carry concealed while hunting, but if you have a concealed permit your gun MUST be concealed. So after having jumped through all the hoops and payed the cost for a license I now have more restrictions on me than if I had never bothered.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Lee Robinson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 06:28:52 AM »
"As Colorado law now stands, anyone can carry openly,or carry concealed while hunting, but if you have a concealed permit your gun MUST be concealed."

If anyone can carry concealed or openly when hunting, wouldn't these CC restrictions only be applied when you are NOT hunting?
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
Well Lee, it's a conflict between DOW regulations and state law. When Colorado first passed the concealed carry bill the Department of Wildlife refused to recognize it, saying something like "we don't want our wardens confronting people who may have concealed weapons".  The DOW seemed to think they could just make their own laws, which they do to a great extent.  The state legislature had to confront the DOW and tell them it was a matter for the state. So, the DOW, just to show their arrogance, threw a fit and proclaimed "well OK then, just let everyone carry concealed weapons".  But that is not really something they have any right to decide, so we have the situation where, according to DOW regs, anyone, without a permit, can carry concealed while hunting or fishing. It is OK with the DOW, but you still would be in violation of state law, just that the game warden will not enforce that law. I don't believe there has been a court case as yet where a state cop or county cop has arrested someone for concealed weapons and that person protested that they were legal according to published DOW regs but it seems sure to happen and I'm sure that person would be screwed.  Of course, while hunting one is many times more likely to encounter a game warden than any other sort of cop, but you'd be on shaky ground if you did encounter a deputy while hunting with a handgun under your coat.
It is the state carry bill that decrees that if one has a concealed weapon permit, said weapon must be concealed at all times. That's what happens when you get a bunch of lawyers together.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 03:14:43 PM »
You're break'n my heart!!  If only we had these problems in the PRC!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 12:38:10 AM »
The actuality of the reality--sounds like a serious conversation with a sixties hippie who has a good supply of Panama Red, doesn't it  ;)--I digress, is that it is left too the individual situation and the people, including law enforcement, involved.
You may, in Texas, get by with printing most of the time, however; it does/can give the opportunity for the situation to be carried to the extreme.
I prefer that there is no printing--why test Murphy.
Often 10MPH over the speed limit is ignored----but what if   ??? ::) :P >:(.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »
I've gotten in the habit of carrying a Surefire flashlight in a belt holster any time I have my pants on, and it makes a pretty noticeable bulge.  I also carry a handgun behind my right hip, in an IWB holster, and it's pretty hard to spot.  So far, nobody has made any mention of either one, after several years of carrying both.  As was mentioned, people these days are wearing a lot of things on their belts......pagers, cell phones, pedometers, I-Pods, multi-tools, you name it. 

In my experience, the only time anyone is going to think about what you're wearing with your pants is when you inadvertently pat, fondle, or adjust your gun.  That's a dead giveaway!  Keep your hands off your weapon in public, if a BG knows you have a gun, he will either go somewhere else, or take you out FIRST. 

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline 454Puma

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 06:39:44 PM »
Mikey
  That's what most states use to define "Brandishing" and is also the Legal definition!  But alas some Communist states go over board! Sorry TX your going that way! Not to long ago you could open carry there -not anymore! Now it's hide it all the time and God don't show a "Bulge"!!! 
One shot , One Kill

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 10:47:41 PM »
I don't recall a day in Texas when there was open carry allowed, and that goes back too the 30's.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD