Author Topic: .45 colt carbine  (Read 476 times)

Offline dinger

• Trade Count: (0)
.45 colt carbine
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:42:21 PM »
  just a quick note here. picked it up today and am generally pleased. the only fly in the ointment is the fitting of the fore-end. on the shooters left at the front of the fore-end there is contact with the barrel. not so on the right. also, not much wood on the left side to remove to correct the problem . as the primary purpose( for me) of this rifle is FUN it may be a non-issue. i will touch base after a shooting session and let you all know how things shook out. meanwhile, i'm just tickled to have this cool little gun! Yesssssss!!!! dinger.

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
Re: .45 colt carbine
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »
You can correct the forearm problem by removing the plastic radiased piece that fits the forearm to the radiused action and using a coarse file take a little wood in a tapered fashion from the left side of the forearm all the way across. When reassembled, it'll swing the front of the forearm to the left and you should get a more favorable fit. A belt sander or power miter saw would be better, but be patient and work slow and you should accomplish your kitchen table gunsmith act without trouble. Remember it is forever, so be patient.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »
Dinger,

Take a good pic of the forend and send it in an email to H&R, ask them to replace it with a good forend. ;) My carbine forend is perfect, there's no reason for them to not replace shoddy work like that once they know about it, their QC leaves a bit to be desired too often.

They damaged my BC butt stock when it was there for barrel fitting, I emailed them a pic, they sent me a new stock, I think it's worth a try in your case.

Tim

hr1871@hr1871.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dinger

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
many thanks to quick and rugerno3 for the direction on the fore-end deal. maybe a fella should just do both!