Author Topic: Lever Evolution ammunition for 44 magnum?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Downeaster

• Trade Count: (0)
Lever Evolution ammunition for 44 magnum?
« on: January 19, 2006, 04:35:41 AM »
Wouldn't be great if Hornady offered their new levolution ammunition in 44 magnum? I bet it would be good for an extra 50 to 75 yards of range and increased energy at closer ranges.

Does any one know if the bullets will be available for reloading at some point? If so, there is a 265 grain 444 bullet which probably could be used for 44 magnum, as well.
Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? :)

Offline missouri dave

• Avid Poster
Re: Lever Evolution ammunition for 44 magnum?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:10:18 AM »
I'm dying to try this if they release them as reloading components.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »
guess im one that doesnt see the need for this revelotionary ammo ::) Properly sighted the 44 mag is a good honest 100 yard gun maybe 150 and if you can master your gun and trajectory it will easily kill any deer walking out at 200 yards. Ill put it like this. military snipers guns of choise are usually 308s they could use something like a 300 super dupper mag but have learned that it makes very little differnce. they just learn the bullet drop and the effects of the wind on the 308 like the back of there hand and make it work and work well. Now a normal guy doesnt have the time to invest in learning a gun like a sniper does but with a little range work you can do surpisingly well. Want a revolutionary 44 load. Load a 250 cast swcgc to 1400 fps out of a carbine. Get yourself a spot with targets out at all kinds of ranges out to 500 yards and start blasting. Youll surpise yourself after a day of shooting what you can hit. With a few weeks practice youll see that its no big trick to hit the vitals of a deer at 200 yards with a 44. I get alot of flack for this and dont much care but to me that revolution ammo is just a gimic the ammo companys made up to sell more expensive ammo and for the most part the guys that buy it are the type that think they can plunk down money and bypass what it takes to be a good rifleman. SHOOTING your gun.
blue lives matter

Offline missouri dave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
I know what your saying about learning your gun Lloyd and I agree. I've done that very thing with my 45-70. It's just something different that caught my eye. Hey, if you don't see any use in it, don't buy it. I wanna try it.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:44:15 PM »
Right on Missouri dave I'd love to use them to reload. I call Hornady every six months or so and ask them when they are going to start selling them to reloaders and every time they tell me as soon as the request for the ammo slows down enough they can part with some. I hope it is soon.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:50 PM »
I wasnt trying to take a poke at you or your shooting skill. Just giving my honest opinion on those bullets. I get swept up too with buying the lastest gadgits and miracle bullets but found for the most part i just wasted some more money. I reread your post and noticed that you werent looking for an opionion on them just a place to buy them so i guess i have to appolgize sticking my nose where it wasnt wanted. 
I know what your saying about learning your gun Lloyd and I agree. I've done that very thing with my 45-70. It's just something different that caught my eye. Hey, if you don't see any use in it, don't buy it. I wanna try it.
blue lives matter

Offline Is64.8

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 09:54:33 AM »
Choices are good, and I'd love for you to be able to try those in the .44 side by side against many other factory loads and bullets available to the reloader. 

I reload a bunch for the .45, but very little for the .44 and .357.  Why???  Because I have found that the less expensive 50 round boxes of Winchester .44 240 gr. JSP shoot great out of my Marlins, Winchesters, and several Ruger single actions.  Sometimes the Hornady .44 XTP 240gr, 200gr, and 180gr factory loads and reloads do a little better at paper targets, but I have seen no differences attributable to the bullet in my use on whitetails.   (I have not used a 180gr. .44 bullet on deer.)

Many people like cast bullets, and I sometimes use them in .45 Colt.  One day I may switch exclusively to cast in handguns, but I currently would rather use jacketed out of leveraction rifles due to the higher velocities.  Also, the game I have hunted the past 30 years do not require the bone-crushing penetration of hardcast bullets, but one day.....................sorry I'm off the subject.

I wouldn't expect any big difference with these bullets for me, but let us all know how they work compared to factory offerings if you ever get any.  I have been very pleased using Hornady products.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »
Lloyd Smale , Don't sugar coat it !
i agree with ya !  and by the way the factory loads two different powders in the case as a duplex load according to some of the shooting rags ! Something that most likely won't be aval. to hand loaders . One writer said he shot an smallish elk at about 30 or so yards with a 30/30 and got it and the new ammo did it and now the 30/30 was an elk rifle !
wonder what a 170 grain cor lock or old silver tip would have done wrong on an elk at 30 yards ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »
Thousands of elk have fell to 3030s with corelocks and silver tips. Guarantee that if you put one in the boileroom you have a dead animal. I cant see guys buying expensive gimicky ammo to stretch the range of guns a few yards. especially in the case of a 44 mag. If you want flat shooting you certainly have the wrong platform. Its a fantastic little stalking rifle but it will never be a long range hunting rifle.
Lloyd Smale , Don't sugar coat it !
i agree with ya !  and by the way the factory loads two different powders in the case as a duplex load according to some of the shooting rags ! Something that most likely won't be aval. to hand loaders . One writer said he shot an smallish elk at about 30 or so yards with a 30/30 and got it and the new ammo did it and now the 30/30 was an elk rifle !
wonder what a 170 grain cor lock or old silver tip would have done wrong on an elk at 30 yards ?
blue lives matter