Author Topic: Mansfield Ohio Follow Up  (Read 3858 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Mansfield Ohio Follow Up
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »
das,

No worries mate! It's all in jest.... ;D
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »

Here are a couple of two very unusual cannons that were on display at the Mansfield Show. The revolving cannon was made in Connecticut and was for sale.

This other smaller and strange looking cannon was on the floor without any identification and I wasn’t able to find the owner around to answer my questions. Also I didn’t want to play with it without their permission. So here are the pictures without any information.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »

This was a really great show and well worth the long 2850-mile trip for me. Here to share with you is a picture of my lucky find at the show.

This was one of four cannons transported home to Florida in my new 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan from this trip.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »
WooHoo!!  :o :o Nice find!! I need to get to one the shows... Congrats Cpt.

Offline das

• loosecannongunworks.com
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »
    Hey Captain, nice purchase ! Don't know what you paid for that barrel, but on E-bay right now there is that same one in a naval style carriage. That one is going through the roof !! I don't remeber exactly where, but I think it's under "signal cannon". You never know, you might have done well on your price.  :)
David A. Steele   :eek:   Loose Cannon Gun Works, LLC 8)

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
Wow! I love this thread!   :o  ;D
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »
A tremendous thank you to everyone who went to the show and took pictures and are sharing them with those of us who couldn't travel to Ohio. It looks like y'all had a lot of fun, met great people and saw some pretty unique guns. Thanks again.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 03:21:47 AM »
Good Morning,
I am another new guy patiently waiting for my first real black powder device.  I currently own a Winchester Cannon (chrome with rubber wheels) that fires 10 gauge black powder blanks.  I wanted to experience the real thing so I have ordered a 1/2 scale Cohern Mortar from Missouri Cannon Works and it should be here any day.  My question is as a result of looking at the pictures of the Mansfield Ohio event.  How could I get an event such as this in Northern Maine (Aroostook County)?  I think that something like this done in conjunction with a fair or other event might go over big.  Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 03:16:45 PM »
Spuddy -

WELCOME to the board!

This type of show is unusual!  I too wish I could have gotten to it.

So, start something!  A friend of mine (from work) and I are going to have a mortar and cannon get-to-gether/exhibition sometime this summer.  WHY?  Because even though we only have a few, the folks coming have NONE.  Simply sharing the wealth.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »
Welcome to the board Spuddy.  Members of the 1st SC, Loomis Battery, and 7th Wisconsin are reviving the old Midwest Artillery Show and Competition in June for the same reason mentioned by Cat. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline powder2burn

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
As the one who posted the Mansfield Ohio event, and suggested we all try and meet at noon, I was worried about what the comments might be.  It's seems all who attended the show thought it was great or something to that extent.

Well I did show up. I was there for the Sat. 11:;30am cannon demonstration and then went to the rear entrance of the cannon building.  However I didn't see anyone looking like they were looking for anyone. I walked around the building a couple of times, missed the GBOCannon sign, but admired "SeaCoasts " display.

I did get my big wide as* and walking sticks in one of Seacoasts posted pictures. I was leaning over Lutz's  table, talking with him ref. measurements of the No. One-Modified Carriage.  Yes I was the guy with crutches walking around Sat. & Sun, sure wished I would have been able to connect with some of you guys.

The reason I was worried about comments on the show, I was disappointed.  In 2004, 2005 there were more exhibitors with more full size cannons as well as smaller vendors with smaller firing models for sale. Also there were far more cannon on display on the blacktop by the firing field.  Even the vendors building had fewer vendors as in the past.

So I sigh in relief the show was enjoyed, especially by those who traveled so far.

How about a separate post on The Midwest Artillery Show and Competition in June-----Need Info.

FRED...........................
Do it to Them, Before they Do It To You

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2007, 02:24:58 AM »
Fred, there is a post under Upcoming Cannon Shoots and Events at the top of the main page about the Midwest Artillery Show and Competition.  I would be happy to answer in questions or email you an invitation.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA