Author Topic: Little help please on 30-06  (Read 516 times)

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
Little help please on 30-06
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »
Ok, need to thin the herd a little and trying to decide what has to go.  I am thinking of letting go of my 25-06.  Here is my thought, tell where I am making a mistake.  I hand load for the 30-06.  You can get anything down to 100 gr bullets for the 30-06, which is the same exact case as the 25-06 but for different caliber.  I have a 22-250 for varmints and predators.  Is there any reason other than just wanting to keep it (don't think I can do this and get some of the other toys I want) other than just because I want it?  Somebody tell me something I am not thinking of so that I don't have to part with it!  Also, the 22-250 is the only small caliber I have.  I have 357 max, 445 supermag, 30-30, so as you can see, I have the deer calibers covered.  Any other suggestions?

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Little help please on 30-06
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:02:04 AM »
Personal choice................myself, I like the 25-06 much better than the 30-06. Flatter shooting, lighter recoil , what I need on these Oklahoma prairies.....and deer being the largest I hunt, until we grow a hogzilla around here............ ;D

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »

Darat,
   I'd go with your feelings. If you also have a .30-30 you can also use some of the same bullets in both rifles if you like. I've personally never cared for anything smaller than .30 cal. They seem to increase the amount of problems for me, but that's just me. I've seen numerous articles written over the years that were pro .30-06. Most of them are based on the fact that it can do anything. Like you said, 100 grain bullets on the low side to a Barnes 300 grain on the high side. If I could only have one gun, it would be a .30-06. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be without one either.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
Thats a tuff  one??? Sounds like you re all set up for the 30-06. Can you load a 30-06 with 100gr bullets & get 25-06 results? If so let her go. or can U get 22-250 results with the  25- 06???  Or you could sell me the 357 max & keep them both
                                                                                                                                                   Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »
i'd sell the .30-30, keeping the flat-nosed bullets for loading in the .30-06 like Jack O'Connor did sometimes.   he said the deer died like they'd been hit by bombs when a .30-30 bullet was sped up by approx 400 fps' in a larger .30 cal' brass case.

the .445 Supermag is more of a deer caliber than the .30-30 in my opinion.    but that's just because the .30-30 is only good for about 200 yds' from what i've seen, and the .445 is probably good for that much with regular practice.

take care,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
safety

interesting thought.  I have been loading the 30-30 with the pointed bullets.  Never thought of going backwards with that thought.  Sometimes my mind just has no imagination whatsoever.

thanks

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
Ok, need to thin the herd a little and trying to decide what has to go.  I am thinking of letting go of my 25-06.  Here is my thought, tell where I am making a mistake.  I hand load for the 30-06.  You can get anything down to 100 gr bullets for the 30-06, which is the same exact case as the 25-06 but for different caliber.  I have a 22-250 for varmints and predators.  Is there any reason other than just wanting to keep it (don't think I can do this and get some of the other toys I want) other than just because I want it?  Somebody tell me something I am not thinking of so that I don't have to part with it!  Also, the 22-250 is the only small caliber I have.  I have 357 max, 445 supermag, 30-30, so as you can see, I have the deer calibers covered.  Any other suggestions?

Tough choice for ya I'm sure..Here's my spin on it...

First of...if the 25-06 is a shooter...I sure as heck wouldn't get rid of it...I would either keep it and shoot it as is..or send it off to be made into something I wanted on a 30-06 case size...Yes..it would cost ya...but the return is much better knowing you can have a fine 26" cut rifle barrel in the likes of 270...30-06..338-06 A-square..35 Whelen just to name a few...

Next..since you already have a 22-250 for predator's and a 30-06 for just about everything else..having a larger med bore rifle makes sense...also...you have your larger bore taken care of with your 445 super mag...Granted it isn't a 45-70...but will work well just the same...They 30-30 is a nice round in a Handi..but..can't be compared to the o6' for the versatility of the cartridge...

Single shots are just fun guns to shoot provided they are accurate...and having to decide on which to get rid of is a pain...Figure out what you hunt and how often and then decide on what you want to keep...then go from there...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
darat'

there's a great lesson to be learned here.    Jack's use of the flat-nosed bullet at the higher velocities shows how an exposed-tip bullet can be made to behave very differently just by increasing, or decreasing, the velocity.   look at the article in one of the mag's several months back where the fella used a Hornady V-Max, i believe, in the new 6.8 SPC that was originally developed for .270 Win' velocities and it gave him a great harvest on a good-sized whitetail.   at the lower velocity the bullet no longer acted like a varmint-getter.   it was a deer-slaying projectile at the lower speed!   

FWIW:  my imagination could use a little work sometimes, too.   i wish i'd thought to market some of the things we take for granted today.    you're doing just fine.

good hunting to you,

ss'   

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.