Author Topic: New Handi Just In!!!  (Read 541 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
New Handi Just In!!!
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:29:11 AM »
I just received my new Handi in 25-06 a couple days ago and wanted to share with everyone.  I was disappointed to find that it had an extractor and not an ejector.  Is there a way to send the barrel back to them and have it converted to an ejector? 

Well I stripped it down and cleaned it and scrubbed the bore a couple times, then I mounted a scope and picked up a couple boxes of ammo (117 gr. SP Hornady Custom, and 115 gr. BST Winchester)  and headed to the range.  After getting on the paper, I decided to shoot some groups.  I shot the 117s first and was very disappointed!  3 shot groups at 100yds averaged about 3-4"!  I grabbed the box of 115s and ran a bore snake through the barrel a couple times before firing.  I consistently got 1/4" MOA with the 115s!!!  I couldn't believe how accurate they were compared to the 117s!  Well I'm gonna try a few more loads in the rifle and see how she does because I really want to shoot the 100 gr. Federal TSX, but if all else fails the 115 gr. BST will be just fine with me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New Handi Just In!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:43:58 AM »
Welcome aboard, Ken!! Congrats on the new 25-06! ;) You've just found out why it's important to try different factory ammo, they're as different as handloads, one may shoot terrible, while another nice tight groups, ya just never know until you try. ;) Mine shoots the Hornady 117gr BTHP and Federal 115gr Nosler partitons equally well.

H&R only offers extractors on centerfire barrels now, and there's no easy, practical way to convert an extractor to an ejector. :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »
Congrads ken on the new pick up. I to would like to have the ejector back in the handi. I'm glad to hear you found a good load that will work in your rifle. I'm sure when you get a chance to take it hunting you love it.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »
Welcome to the addiction!!
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »
thanks guys it's good to be back!  I've owned a couple older model handis and got rid of them for some dumb reason, but I still own a few shotguns new and old, including the 410 / 45 survivor.  That sucks they got rid of the ejector!!  do they still offer it on the shotguns?  Well now that I know this rifle is a shooter I want to order a Stinger stock for it.  Do any of you have one; how do you like it;  do you have pics you could show me of it???  I'm interested in the maple but don't know what it looks like.  Well thanks again for the welcome,  I look forward to sharing many great stories and information with all of you around this great campfire!

keep er' between the lines,

Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »
Shotguns and rimfires still have ejectors, at least for now.

GSI offers the stinger for H&Rs. www.gunstocksinc.com

H&R also offers a laminated thumbhole, but for now only on a rifle, pics below.

Tim

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »
thanks Tim, that's a sharp looking rifle!   I really like those stocks!  I wish I knew what the fiddleback maple looked like.  Can you order finished stocks from Gunstockinc or is there a place I could send it to get it finished?  I don't know of any reputable gunsmiths in my area and I don't have the tools for the job.   I just mounted my Burris w/ B-Plex on my Handi.   

thanks,

Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »
I don't think GSI does finish work, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them, maybe they have someone they would recommend.  I would imagine that finishing would be very expensive, I know it's a lot of work from my experience with stock refinishing. :D

Below is an example of H&R's fiddleback maple stocks on my 204 Ruger Handi, FWIW, they don't offer it anymore, at least not lately, but ya never know!!

Thanks,

Tim