Author Topic: SHOOTING STICKS  (Read 602 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
SHOOTING STICKS
« on: June 25, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »
within the last say 30 days their was a thread about some home made shooting sticks (the ones with
the spoon) does any one remember, would like to have the measurements.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: SHOOTING STICKS
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »
Just Bill has a spoon on his shooting sticks, Varmint Al's bi-fur-pod is real popular.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,118744.msg1098391712.html#msg1098391712

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
I made mine per varmint al's specs and there is a photo of them on his site also.  The measurements per your height are also there.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:26:06 AM »
I made a set of bi-fur-pods, and they work well.  They sure help connect with the far shots (I can't hold as steady as I once could, in fact, I can't do most things as well as I once could)!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:41:46 AM »
Thanks guys, this is exactly what i was looking for,(needed the measurements)seems pretty easy to build, he says about an hour, shouldn't take me more than 4 days.going BP elk hunting in oct. maybe i can have one built by then,
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 06:31:07 AM »
I have two shooting sticks. One to shoot standing for deer and one to shoot sitting for gophers. 6ft for the long one and 41" for the short one.

Either one is adjustable for heigth using a strip of  rubberized fabric with a Velcro closure. The sticks are 3/4" hardwood dowels. When the sticks are opened the eastic band which is 3"x16" will hold the V of the sticks in a tight position.

The eastic can be slid up and down for the best height for up or down hill shooting. I drilled  holes in the bottom of the sticks and glued cut off 3.5" nails in the holes with one inch projection.

Either one can be used for a walking stick whith the sticks folded side by side.
A hole drilled  and a bolt through the two sticks  at an arbitrary position does not provide  to much vertical height adjustment.

Since using these sticks I have not used the Harris bipod at all. Nothing ever works 100% perfect but these sticks come pretty close.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:18:10 AM »
Fred I made the bifurpod sticks and while they are good the adjustable version sounds even handier.
that elastic band you refer to is the rubberized fabric and velcro or is it a rubber band 3/16 "? just need to clarify what materials you are using to get the adjusting ability of the sticks. Thanks.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »
The rubberized fabric is 3inches wide an 16inches long it is used I think to adust
pants. Or maybe it is used to wrap sore joints. Look in a fabrik shop.

I am packing up to go fishing for two weeks. No more messages after this one.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.