Author Topic: Special vs Mag cases  (Read 586 times)

Offline crabo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Special vs Mag cases
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:52:47 AM »
I am on a quest to work up the most accurate loads in my various revolvers with cast bullets.  I know every gun is different, but as a rule of thumb, do any of you find that mid range loads in a special case is less accurate then loading the midrange load in a magnum case when shot in a magnum cylinder?  I am working up .357 and .44.  I have opened up all my cylinders like Veral and others have suggested.  I have also firelapped all my revolvers.  I am starting my .38 loads with Bullseye, 231 and Unique powders over a WSP for my midrange load.  My goal is to have accurate ammo to shoot 100 meters, wether it is banging a gong or hunter's pistol.

Any words of wisdom as I start this journey?  I plan to keep good records, I have numbered my cylinders to see if I have a bad one, and I will be shooting at 50 yards indoors from a rest to start with.  I'll eventually move to 100 meters with the winners.  I have a 2 1/2-8 Luepold that I can move to all the different guns.

Thanks,

Craig

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Special vs Mag cases
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:49:04 PM »
hard to answer that question as theres just to many vaiables. Some of my mags do there best work with special brass some with mag brass. Switch bullets or powder and it all changes. The only way your going to get an honest answer is to shoot the crap out of your specific gun and find out.
blue lives matter