Author Topic: Loose cores with the rebated boattail dies.  (Read 886 times)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Loose cores with the rebated boattail dies.
« on: March 03, 2003, 04:54:55 PM »
Hello everyone, :D

I recently started working with the rebated boattail die set. I have noticed that after the first die, that starts to form the boattail, some of my cores drop out. This does not seem to be a problem, I just put the cores back in and swag them using the second die that finishes forming, the step of, the rebated boattail and the cores are locked in tightly. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and do I need to correct anything I am doing? :roll:

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 05:53:20 AM »
Some jackets have tappered walls that may cause air to be trapped when the core is dropped in. Sometimes this causes the core to pop out after core swaging. Oily/waxy jackets and/or cores assist this situation, but usually we're very careful to use clean components. This compressed air at the base of the jacketed core is otherwise of no consequence. Usually when a core pops out (actually slides out a little bit), I just reswage it immediately and have no further problems with it.  This situation also happens when the core and raw jacket have a tight fit to start with. Different jacket lots require your attention. You have to make sure your seating punch and cores fit the raw jacket  before setting up for a complete run. More than once I've started to use a new lot of jackets and found that I couldn't even get the core to start in the jacket. Had to get a smaller diameter core die, and you know what that means in time and $.   8)

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 03:48:29 PM »
:D Hi Dona;

I corebond mine to avoid that.I feal that makes a getter bullet without a possible void.Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline russ

• http://smallcalilberbullets.com
loose cores
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 07:29:11 PM »
Donna
I too have had loose cores in my RBT dies with the first die. I find that soaking the cores in acetone to get all the lube off helps some, but still there are some that pop up a little. The BT2 die seats it ok, and I worried that it would effect accuracy. After seeing friends shoot in the .2 range, I'm satisfied that if there is any trapped air, it can't be much.

russ

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 09:07:56 PM »
Hello all,

Thank you Talon.

Lead Pot I plan on getting a furnace some day but someday is like tomarrow it seem to never come.

Russ glad to have you on this forum and congradulations on joining the graybeard's talk forum. On a new post could you give us a little of your shooting, reloading, and swaging  back ground?

love this swaging!!!!

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline pjh421

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 12:15:15 PM »
Hi Donna,

You may wish to try boiling your swaged cores and unformed jackets in rubbing alcohol.  I haven't had to resort to this yet, but when cleaning mould blocks in preparation for casting it removes all oil.  To get the best grip between jacket and core, short of core bonding, you need the mating surfaces to be surgically clean.

Paul