Author Topic: Mid-priced Long Range Scopes  (Read 1166 times)

Offline ryans63

• Trade Count: (0)
Mid-priced Long Range Scopes
« on: June 01, 2007, 10:45:39 PM »
 am recently out of the core and am wondering what mid-priced scopes, long range, a 8-32x50 with a 1 inch tube, I've heard Swift Optics is good and found a decent priced Barska scope. Does anyone have personal experience with some different type brand names scopes that are good quality without dropping a huge load o money, but are reliable and durable. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline Zachary

Re: Mid-priced Long Range Scopes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:26 AM »
I'm not sure what your definition of "mid-priced" is, but with me, it certainly is not related to "Swift" or "Barska" as I consider them almost entry level, low-priced, scopes.

My definition of mid-priced would be the Nikon Buckmasters and Elite 3200 series.  I have also heard some good things about Mueller, although I personally do not have any experience with them.  Clearidge Optics is another manufacturer of high quality optics, but, although it is in the league of the Elite 4200s and Nikon Monarchs, and less expensive than them, they are just a tad outside the "mid-priced" Elite 3200s and Nikon Buckmasters.  I encourage you to take a look at all of these scopes that I have mentioned.

Zachary

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:56:33 PM »
Zachery, do you have any experience with the Clearidge scopes?  Where are they built?  How is the warranty and customer service on the Clearidge line?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:36:30 PM »
My own personel experience.  The cheaper the scope the less power you can use, as the power goes up the light gets less and the picture darker.  Anything over 15 power my heart beats have too much affect on the sight picture.  Like at 25 power every heart beat caused the crosshairs to jump 3 feet at 300 yards. 

Good luck finding what your looking for.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:31:44 AM »
Zachery, do you have any experience with the Clearidge scopes?  Where are they built?  How is the warranty and customer service on the Clearidge line?

No, I do not have any "hands on" experience with the Clearidge line.  However, I do have a great deal of information on them, as well as the owner.  Clearidge scopes are manufactured for www.theopticzone.com.  Jon, who is the owner of the opticzone, is someone whom with I have dealt with over the last 5 or so years, and from whom I have purchased many brands of scopes.  I have received the information and specs on the Clearidge line, and the specs place these scopes in the Elite 4200, Leupold VX-III, Nikon Monarch class, for less money. Also, the optics have a light transmission of 95% which is significant. As for the warranty, I believe that they carry a life-time warranty.  As for customer service, I think that everyone at GBO who has dealt with the opticzone will tell you that their customer service is second to none. 

If you have any other specific questions, I recommend that you contact Jon directly, as I am sure that he would be more than happy to answer any and all questions that you may have, and as he would be a better source of answers than me.

Zachary

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 12:34:56 AM »
Sorry Zachery........to put a new cheaper brand in the same category as Leupold, Nikon, and Bushnell is a bold proclamation.  The Clearidge line is so new it doesn't have a track record.  Leupold is known for their customer service and has been for years.  Nikon and Bushnell have proved time and time again that they have what it takes to stand the test of time.

Clearidge may, in time deserve the same reputation.  Right now, at least for me, it's just the latest whiz bang........unknown origin, unsubstantiated specifications, and I haven't read a single user's review good bad or indifferent and don't recall anyone posting about them here on GBO.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:28:18 AM »
I can understand your concern, but consider this - the Clearidge has been nominated as one of the scopes in Outdoor Magazine's Optics of the Year award.  As far as comparing them to Nikon Monarchs, Elite 4200s, and Leupold VX-IIIs, the Clearidge glass has 95% light transmission, which is at the same level of these scopes (although the VX-III is a bit higher at 98%).

Further, an additional reason that I make a bold comparison with the Monarchs, Elite 4200s, and VX-IIIs is because, from what I understand, the clearidge line is manufactured at an established plant that does in fact have a proven track record for reliability.

My only dislike about the Clearidge is that it does not have long eye-relief like a Leupold, but, then again, it's eye-relief is very similar to the Elite 4200s.

It is rare for me to recommend a new optics line.  In fact, prior to the clearidge, I have never done it.  The clearidge is an exception only because I know the people involved and thus a great deal of knowledge behind the scope as well.  Buying from theopticzone means that you are essentially buying direct from the factory with no middle man, so that's where your savings are.   So I disagree that the clearidge is a "cheaper" scope.  If you want clearidge to charge anywhere from 20% to 30% more to dealers above wholesale like Nikon, Bushnell, and Leupold, then would you still consider it a "cheaper" scope?

Like all of you, I don't get anything for endorsing the products I like.  As most of you on the bolt-action forums know, I love my Tikkas, but I don't think that Tikka even knows my name, much less pays me for any endorsement.  Same holds true for my love for Nikon Monarchs and Elite 4200s.  Accordingly, for me to endorse a new product, then that must mean something given that I have done a lot of due dillegence on it.  Is it the same as my own hands-on experience over a long period of time?  No, I honestly can't, and won't, say that, but I do anticipate that it will be close.  So close, in fact, that the next scope that I will buy will in fact be a clearidge, and, as most of you know, I am the type of person who puts his money where this mouth is.  BTW, I also intend on buying a Mueller scope in the future too.

Hope this helps.

Zachary

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »
Makes me want to try one too.......

I went back and read the post from the announcement.  Made in Japan and life time warranty.......Think Jon will send me one to test?  I'd test it at no charge, of course....... ;D
Barry Goldwater

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 01:52:38 PM »
Victorcharlie,

I do not blame you to be reluctant in purchasing a new scope from a manufacturer that has not yet proven, but I can say that our scopes are starting to get a following, due to the quality vs. price.  Our scopes do offer 95% light transmission, excellent optics and very reliable components which is why we have decided to offer our transferable lifetime warranty, which is very comparable to even the well known and trusted names such as Leupold, Zeiss and others.  As you probably know, starting a new line in this highly competitive world is tough, but if a company offers a highly quality product at a reasonable price, than it just takes time to get the word out.  If you would like to read some of the reviews and testimonies on our Clearidge scopes you can go to www.clearidgeoptics.com/reviews_testimonies.html.  If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 11:48:40 AM »
I guess that means you don't need me to test one free of charge huh?
Barry Goldwater

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
Hey Jon, sense this is on topic of long range scopes, will you be carrying the Bushnell 3200 Tactical 5-15x40?
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite3200_32-5154t.cfm

The little brother of this one:
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4553

-Aaron

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:09:21 PM »
We do have them in stock and below is a link to the scope.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4552

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!