Author Topic: reloading for 410/45 Survivor  (Read 873 times)

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
reloading for 410/45 Survivor
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:23:15 PM »
Hey, guys.  I wish to start reloading and being able to reload for a Survivor 410/45 Colt Survivor.  I was looking at some reloading sites for 410 shotshells and came across the following website, www.endtimesreport.com, which has a section on reloading for the Survivor.  I want some input from you gentlemen (and ladies, if any read this) as if this activity is safe for a novice to pursue.     Just scroll down to the questions section where the question about the Survivor gun is.  Thanks.

ST762

http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: reloading for 410/45 Survivor
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
I have played with this in 444 brass. I wasn't going for huge power, but did get good accuracy. It is easy to do and you might have to adjust a little. Remember this is the sb-1 shotgun frame not the sb-2 rifle frame so a little caution is in order. I haven't done anything with it since last fall. I was actually thinking of developing loads in 410 brass shell. Would be good for the shotgun only areas here in MN. I have been workig on other projects and plan to get back to it. It is also called the 450 mongo.

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:50:22 PM »
The reason I am wanting to do this is that I wish to be able to get quasi-45 Colt ballistics from a 410 bore shell that is long enough to engage the rifling of the gun.   My goal is to have something like a 240 grain bullet at about 1000-1200 fps.  I do not know how viable this idea is.  That is why I am asking this question.    I want it for a survival hunting weapon that is lightweight and will put meat in the pot or on a spit  without the ordeal of hauling around a lot of ammunition.

ST762

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »
  I've been trying to research the 45 mongo, but sadly I cannot find anything on the GBO search.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
I easily got the kind of ballistics you want with 2400and 250 gr bullets. It was dirty due to the lower pressures. you can use the same loads recommended for light cast loads and get good results. I haven't tried using rifle powders. I have only used 2400,unique and universal. I do plan on more research. I just am not looking to push it hard. I do have the barrel fitted on my sb-2 frame and am confident I could get some pretty heavy loads. I was just shooting for about 1600fps. About equal to heavy colt-light 454 casull handgun type levels.I think lil gun might work well. remember that a 250 gr. bullet is roughly around the weight of a normal shot load for the 410.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
 I am also planning on working with plastic cases and wads with roll crimps. When I say good accuracy, I am talking 2-3 inch at 70 yards.Not tack driving but good for what it is.

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:48:41 PM »
I forgot to add that I will be using brass casings.  I can get them from Cabela's easily enough.

ST762

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:46:57 PM »
If you use yahoo search and enter 450 mongo cartridge, it will link to some graybeard threads.