Author Topic: Narrowed to 2 choices: Which RWS in .22?  (Read 968 times)

Offline hobbyist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Narrowed to 2 choices: Which RWS in .22?
« on: May 29, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »
I have been away from airguns for a long time.  Just getting back into it an looking to buy a quality spring piston gun with high level of accuracy and power.  Will be using it for paper punching and pest control in the back yard.  I have two boys (9 and 7) that may start using it also.   On a second thought it may be better to buy a second dedicated RWS and start them on a lighter rifle.

I grew up with a DIANA 35 (30 years ago) and loved it.  Very accurate and powerful.  Use to shoot match sticks with it consistently at 5m and hunted birds with it all the time :-X.  Had much better eyes then!

I am considering the RWS 48/52, 350M, or 460M.  So what do you think?  I am also open to other brands but I think it is hard to beat RWS.

Thanks.

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Which RWS in .22?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 04:46:08 AM »
I recently bought an RWS M-34 Panther in .22. I also own an RWS M-46 underlever in .177. Both shoot ragged 1 hole groups at 10 yards and into a dime at 20. The only thing that bothers me on the RWS Rifles are the plastic triggers and overall poor trigger performance. The trigger in the 46 is better than the 34 but neither is very good. This is where (if you want a nicer rifle and spend twice the money) the Beeman R-1 or R-9 would be a better choice IMO. Mine are used primarily as hunting guns and more specifically used to kill rock chucks. In that capacity the .22 M-34 has been a very good performer, thumping rock rats to 50 yards with regularity. FWIW I am selling the M-46 to a co-worker and keeping the M-34 for a hunting gun. I plan on adding a Beeman R-7 in .177 in the near future to replace the M-46 as a fun all around plinker.

Offline centershot

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 04:51:55 AM »
Another consideration, the M-34 a medium power gun is a bear to keep a scope on. It just ate a BSA 4X32 A/O and is in the process of killing a Bushnell Trophy right now. The magnum springers you have on your short list will likley be even worse than my 34. Be sure to get very good mounts, the B-Square  or equal and be prepared to go through some scopes. Or consider some less powerful guns. Safe shooting, and have fun. These things are the fountain of youth.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
Good points thanks.  How is the R9 power in .20 as well as how rough is it on the scopes?  The trigger is supposed to be excellent but I think it is not as hard hitting as the guns I mentioned earlier.

Offline centershot

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:18:57 AM »
The R-9 is supposed to be a very nice gun - medium power with a nice trigger. The .20 cal is supposed to be the cat's meow for pellet guns. Beware pellets in .20 cal are rare as hen's teeth. I have a tough time finding .22 cal pellets. I saw where Bass Pro had some R-9 Combos for $399 maybe worth a look.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »
So I guess R9 is added to the list.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »
Narrowed the choice down to RWS 350M and 460M in .22.  Any thoughts on which one for All around Plinking, Target practice, and Pest Control in the back yard.  I will eventually top it with a Bushnell 3200 AO.  I have a large back yard.

Offline centershot

Re: Narrowed to 2 choices: Which RWS in .22?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »
On the M-46e that I owned, the cocking cycle sometimes would be rough and quite stiff. Not a broken spring, but more like a binding/grinding type feel. With some lube to the slot where the lever slid it would be smooth and nice for another 500 shots then the rough action would be back. I say this because I think the 460 is souped up version of the 46 and if the rough action is a problem with the lighter spring then the heavy one would be suspect. I read that others had the same coarse cocking action with their 46's. That said I'd go with the 350 over the 460 but in that price range I'd take the Beeman R-1 or R-9 over either of the RWS models.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
A great source of information on air rifles as well as supplies is Straight Shooters.  They carry a lot of pellets and even make up samplers of most pellets they sell in each caliber.  Great way to find what a rifle likes.  They test most of the rifles they sell and have an extensive website showing their test results and opinions. They even have rated a number of rifles for sound.

The R7 is a wonderful, quiet, accurate, plinker. Not real powerful but I've taken some grouse with mine and I can shoot it downstairs while the boys are sleeping upstairs. But its not my choice for huntiing game - too mild.

Oh and they carry scopes / mounts and rate them for the punishment they can take.  Great website and good to do business with - google Striaght Shooters.

From what I read I'm inclined to go with Beeman rifles more than RWS.  But I don't have lots of experience other than my R7 and a BSA Supersport.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 09:42:45 AM »
A great source of information on air rifles as well as supplies is Straight Shooters.  They carry a lot of pellets and even make up samplers of most pellets they sell in each caliber.  Great way to find what a rifle likes.  They test most of the rifles they sell and have an extensive website showing their test results and opinions. They even have rated a number of rifles for sound.

The R7 is a wonderful, quiet, accurate, plinker. Not real powerful but I've taken some grouse with mine and I can shoot it downstairs while the boys are sleeping upstairs. But its not my choice for huntiing game - too mild.

Oh and they carry scopes / mounts and rate them for the punishment they can take.  Great website and good to do business with - google Striaght Shooters.

From what I read I'm inclined to go with Beeman rifles more than RWS.  But I don't have lots of experience other than my R7 and a BSA Supersport.

So you would buy an R9 ( since I don't want to spend over $450) over the RWS 350M/460M, although it doesn't have the power?

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »
I have had a RWS 36 in .22 cal. for some time and have found it to be reliable and accurate.  It has been chronographed at over 900 fps with Crosman Premier pellets.  I have made 1-shot kills on woodchucks that were raiding the garden with it.  It is used with a 2x7 RWS scope.  My walk-around gun is a Crosman 2240 pistol that has been made into a carbine.  It is light, accurate and easier to tote around.  It has adequate power for pigeons and the like, but when I get serious the RWS comes out.  The RWS is also less likely to draw attention when I'm after backyard pests (quieter since it is a spring-air gun).

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
Well I decided on the 350M and it arrived today.  It is a substantial gun and looks good.  I haven't shot it yet, but will soon and post a review.  The first impression is very good.  Thanks for everyones help.