Author Topic: Who Makes the Redhead Scopes for Bass Pro?  (Read 4216 times)

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Who Makes the Redhead Scopes for Bass Pro?
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:33:58 AM »
Anyone know who makes scopes for Bass Pro under the Redhead name?

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Who Makes the Redhead Scopes for Bass Pro?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:45:37 AM »
I can't say for certain, but I thought it was Bushnell  ???

-Aaron

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »
Someone asks this question on all of the websites every month it seems and no one seems to have an answer.

My guess is that it is just some Chinese optics plant.  Bass Pro gives them some specs and the Chinese guy meets the specs same as with any other scope.  Who DESIGNED the scope originally?  I don't know. 

My new understanding is that even if Bushnell "makes" it, that doesn't mean that it is Bushnell quality.  Strange example but here goes:  I work at Wal-Mart and people always say that the Wal-Mart brand peanut butter is the same as Peter Pan because they are both made at the Peter Pan company.  Well, that may be true but that doesn't mean that it is the same product or even that they are the same quality.  On the other hand, Wal-Mart milk IS the exact same milk as the Borden from the Borden plant. 

Bottom line is that there are minimum failure rates and there are specs that are met and that is what is made by the manufacturer.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:08:13 PM »

My guess is that it is just some Chinese optics plant.  Bass Pro gives them some specs and the Chinese guy meets the specs same as with any other scope.  Who DESIGNED the scope originally?  I don't know....
My new understanding is that even if Bushnell "makes" it, that doesn't mean that it is Bushnell quality.  ......

Well put Blue. Bushnell, like others, run many scope models under their name, though the exact plant that makes said scope may be well in a different land region than another. Such as Bousch and Lomb with the 3200 and 4200 series... I have a hard time believing they themselves make the Banners or Sportsman models.
Case in point I suppose is this one:
http://www.snipercentral.com/bl10x.htm

I do believe Bushnell products to be a great value and they have some excellent products.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »
If you wish to get "technically correct" about it Bushnell makes NO SCOPES at all. They merely import them from whatever actually manufacturer meets the standards they've set up for that particular model of scope. Their top of the line scopes are all made in Japan by one of the two top line makers and the rest might get made most anywhere by anyone who will give them the best price while meeting their specifications.

Like so many brand names these days Bushnell is not actually a manufacturer but just an importer. Browning is and always has been merely an importer not a manufacturer.

These days there are likely hundreds of different brand names placed on various scopes but in reality there are perhaps a dozen actual manufacturers and the rest are makers in brand name only. The vast majority of manufacturers never even see their name listed cuz they merely make them for someone else and stamp that someone else's name on them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:39:53 PM »
That makes  sense.  I use to work at textile mill part-time in high school.  They would make the same dress and stamp a dozen different labels in it.