Author Topic: 38-55  (Read 348 times)

Offline Exoticimager

• Trade Count: (0)
38-55
« on: September 30, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
My first post, so bare with me. Owner of 38-55, 223 bull , and versa pack. My 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Handi, all bought in the last 30 days. I'm addicted.  My problem is that using winchester ammo in the 38-55, I get bullet tumble on about half the roounds fired. I'm try to set the scope at 50 yards before going oout farther. Is this common. I do reload so can experiment. All help welcomed.
TSgt, USAF Ret

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 38-55
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:20:27 AM »
Welcome aboard, the 38-55 Target suffers from an oversize bore and likely a chamber neck that's too small, although that issue may have been resolved in later production barrels, but they don't shoot good unless you load .379"-.380" cast bullets in them for the most part, there's a good link on handloading for the 38-55 in the FAQs and Help sticky, along with lots of other helpful info that will help you with just about any H&R issue. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 38-55
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
Howdy,
  My Dad has an old '86 Winchester in 38/56 that has a worn out bore and gives similar troubles. we finally found a fix, but its kinda extreme, You might be able to fix it by using a softer bullet casting media, the old Winnys had bores that varied in size and depended on the soft lead sealing the bore simular to a muzzloader, (according to Mr. Tappin) it works, but cleaning lead out of a bore can be less than fun.
   We also tried sizing some hard cast bullets down until they fit SNUGLY inside a well annealed .380acp or 9mm case. The seating the bullet inside the 9mm case (um, remove the primer and make sure it is fully seated) and load like regular jacketed bullet. It takes some time and fiddling with and some equipment you may not have,They aren't much good for anything but punching paper, but they shoot a lot more accurately in that oversized Winchester bore.
  And no lead fouling, but it takes some tinkering and special equipment.
JMHO
BT