Author Topic: Mary Winkler trial  (Read 289 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Mary Winkler trial
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:57:01 AM »
So.....a wife can shoot her husband in the back while he lays sleeping in the bed and get 3 years. Lets see,judge says must serve 210 days in jail minus time served (143 days) - 60 days in the nut house.  Total of 7 days behind bars.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

I watched most all the trial live on the Internet....she better be glad I wasn't on the jury.

Dead men tell no tales....something was wrong for sure.....the prosecution contended that she was involved in a check kiting scam and killed him because he found out and potentially would have taken some kind of action. (Divorce?) unlikely but who knows.

She convinced the jury of 10 women and 2 men that she was abused.

Either way, Mrs. Winkler, her MIL, during the sentencing, told her she had many, many other options...

No doubt she did, but she chose to shoot him in the back while he slept in their bed.

Her, and O.J.,one in the same, and to think I said a few years ago this could never happen in Tennessee......I was wrong.....

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Mary Winkler trial
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:53:15 AM »
I don't think the abuse charges held water........The defense had a blond wig and a platform shoe on the stand and Mary testified that he made her "do things" she felt uncomfortable with.  She said he hit her once.  You can read her testimony at the link above.

She also testified that he placed his hand over the baby's mouth to get it to go back to sleep and this was the straw that sent her over the edge.  The problem with this is the coroner testified that Matthew had 1000ml of urine in his bladder, and that 200 ml gave the urge to urinate, and at 500 to 600 ml there was a very strong urge to urinate.  If Matthew got up, he would have had to pee so bad he would have emptied his bladder.

The check kiting, IMO, is far more likely the reason she killed him.  He found out, was mad, she thought she was going to loose her kids and she killed him while he lay sleeping in the bed.

Matthew Winkler was a second or third generation church of Christ Minister.  The church of Christ is Fundamental.  I'm fairly certain that he believed in traditional roles in a marriage.  IMO, he probably had a strong personality who saw himself as the head of the household and the family leader.

If she was abused, why didn't she call her dad, or his dad, and have them come get her.....or, why not just leave?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater